Hexus'd out......

rolf_f
rolf_f Posts: 16,015
edited March 2012 in Commuting chat
I have a Topeak Hexus. Today a chainlink parted. Lucky I have a Hexus. Only not so lucky. I can't undo the chain rivet because the chaintool only has a little knurled knob which you'd need digits of steel to turn against a link! Of course, the Hexus does have an allen key that fits. But that's attached to the Hexus so I can't fit it to the chaintool knob. I could dismantle the Hexus but.... I'd need an Allen Key for that.

So, am I missing a cunning Hexus secret or do I need to take another set of allen keys with me? Or should I just carry a separate chain tool and a simple multitool?.......

And are all the chaintool fitted multitools as seemingly useless?
Faster than a tent.......

Comments

• The Topeak website has a user manual download available for your mini tool which shows how to use the myriad of tools and there funtions including the chain tool. A useful resource to use from time to time as a way to stay familar with their products
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,360
    I've got a Parktool I-Beam - the tyre lever has a hexagonal hole in the middle, which fits over the end of the chain tool pin to screw it in. Yeah, I can see that a thumb-and-forefinger knurled knob isn't going to have enough leverage to push a rivet out.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Rolf F wrote:
    I have a Topeak Hexus. Today a chainlink parted. Lucky I have a Hexus. Only not so lucky. I can't undo the chain rivet because the chaintool only has a little knurled knob which you'd need digits of steel to turn against a link! Of course, the Hexus does have an allen key that fits. But that's attached to the Hexus so I can't fit it to the chaintool knob. I could dismantle the Hexus but.... I'd need an Allen Key for that.

So, am I missing a cunning Hexus secret or do I need to take another set of allen keys with me? Or should I just carry a separate chain tool and a simple multitool?.......

And are all the chaintool fitted multitools as seemingly useless?
    You use the 4mm Allen key in the plastic side part.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • My Lezyne multi tool has the best chain tool I've ever used on it. Comes way above anything else I've used and doubles (nay, trebles) as a handy tyre iron and spoke tool.

Doesn't help you much, though.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    My Topeak Alien II has a brilliant chaintool (when fettling at home I often use it instead of the dedicated chaintool) and has a very handy hooked rod to hold the two ends of the chain together when doing it up. Very simple idea, but I've never seen any other tool with it.

FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
    I think NIckLouse has it right - there's a hidden allen key in one of the plastic side parts. Also used for tightening up the allen bolt that holds the tool together.

I love my Hexus and particularly the chain tool :-)
    Misguided Idealist
  • leedsmjh
    leedsmjh Posts: 196
    My Lezyne multi tool has the best chain tool I've ever used on it. Comes way above anything else I've used and doubles (nay, trebles) as a handy tyre iron and spoke tool.

Hi Rolf, +1 from me for the Lezyne. Rescued me when my chain snapped many miles from home and I don't exactly have digits of steel.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    leedsmjh wrote:
    My Lezyne multi tool has the best chain tool I've ever used on it. Comes way above anything else I've used and doubles (nay, trebles) as a handy tyre iron and spoke tool.

Hi Rolf, +1 from me for the Lezyne. Rescued me when my chain snapped many miles from home and I don't exactly have digits of steel.

Given your history with Leyzne products, I'm surprised you hadn't previously dropped the tool before you needed it! :lol:

Thanks for Nicklouse et al for picking up the obvious that there was a solution. And thanks for dirtboyband for a useful first post - unfortunately, I am a bloke and I don't read instruction manuals; I work on the assumption that, as a bloke, I am automatically great at everything and therefore don't need the instructions! I shall have a close look for my hidden allen key.......
    Faster than a tent.......