Ouch!!!!!!

scottjessuk
scottjessuk Posts: 58
Day off on Monday so decided to head to Glentress on my own and all was going well until that little bridge flyover, no idea what went wrong but something did and I hit the ground hard. It was so hard trying to get up but I did just as 5 riders went past, the pain in my shoulder was horrific but i managed to get to the fire road and cycle down to the car park.

I stopped into Alpine Bikes to ask if there were any medics around and they said they were waiting to do their first aid course and couldn't help, slightly annoying but then suggested I drove to Edinburgh A&E to get checked out. To say driving was difficult was and understatement but wasn't sure what else to do so I drove one handed back to Edinburgh.

2-3 hours later I was taken through to get seen to and then sent for an x ray, back to the waiting room for another 30 mins to then be told that I have fractured my collar bone right at the Acromioclavicular joint. Ouch!!!!!!

Now I guess I have to wait and see how long it takes to heal :( Sleepless nights are becoming common.

Anyone have any tips of ways to help with the recovery would be great.

I have also noticed that attempting to put a t shirt on isn't such a good idea.

Scott
Stevens Cyclocross
One One Pompino
Giant Talon 0

Comments

• I would rest it and avoid any cycling completely
  • Yeah that's the orders from the Doctors, apparently I've broken it in the worst possible place. A nightmare to operate on so I have to leave it 4 weeks and see if it can heal on it's own, however he mentioned it probably wont so I will at least have 1 operation with the possibility of some more in the future. Totally gutted really, had a poor winter with fitness and was getting back into it in jan and I have just blown it for a few months at least.

What is worse is when your friends have been telling you about their great biking trips out :) grrrrrrrrr

Ah well just have to wait it out I guess.
    Stevens Cyclocross
    One One Pompino
    Giant Talon 0
  • angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    Rest, avoid moving your shoulder as much as possible. That's about the most you can do to be honest. Also pray that it does heal by itself. A lot will be out of your hands though, it all depends on how the bone has broken and in what manner it will be able to heal.
  • goldilocks
    goldilocks Posts: 30
    I feel for you, broke mine properly at the beginning of April, 1st moto of the day @ 1st Rd of British 4X on my home track. Gutted. :shock:
    Currently have a nice bit of metal holding mine together, which of course means no playing silly buggers on 2 wheels for a while, and that 2nd op to remove it in time!
    Today was the first time I have ridden my bike round the block and back. Felt weird. But will try again tomorrow. Has been so frustrating not to get out on the bike, but you do have to take it easy.
    Good luck, and here's hoping it heals on its own..
  • mobilekat
    mobilekat Posts: 245
    Rest, eat well, avoid smoking (slows healing) and try not to get too frustrated!

Possibly with a bit of swearing, cursing and dreaming about what you will do once you can ride again!

Good luck, hope it heals soon!
    Wheeze..... Gasp..... Ruddy hills.......
  • scottjessuk
    scottjessuk Posts: 58
    I'm now back on the bike again, had my first trip to Glentress last Monday and went for a nice easy cycle today round Loch Leven, which was nice for 10 miles then had midges for the remaining 3 which was rather unpleasant due to the amount of them. Heading to Glentress tomorrow for round 3, however I had that sick feeling come over me when I arrived last Monday and even more so when I looked at where I came off and thought how on earth did that happen. I still need to take it easy as the surgeon said I was ok to cycle "as long as I don't fall off because remember that's why your here in the first place" I guess it's true.

He said it's a strong possibility I will have to get my bone shaved due to it sticking up more than it should, joy upon joy. 2 weeks until I find out, slightly concerned as I have just started a new job and they don't know about my collar bone. I may say it's not intrusive so I can just get away with it for a bit, only concern is falling off again because sticking up bone would be agony if I did have a wee mishap. Think I'll not think about it.

Get well soon Goldilocks, don't do what I did and my only exercise was going from the fridge to the couch and back again, put on a tone of weight unfortunately. Just as well I'm active again.
    Stevens Cyclocross
    One One Pompino
    Giant Talon 0
  • goldilocks
    goldilocks Posts: 30
    Scott,

Glad your back out on the bike :)
    I cheated and got me a turbo trainer, although not spent anywhere near enough time using it instead of thinking 'oh the bike is looking rather clean!' lol!
    However, I am very much back on the bike, and looking forward to a sneaky trip to Cannock this week (its local, can't complain for a day off!)

Hope that the bone shaving is at least minimal if necessary.. as having work on side helps, I was 3 weeks into a new job when did mine..opps!

Clare
  • Glad your back on the bike Claire, I was also tempted by the Turbo Trainer but thought at the time I could buy something nice for my bike instead because they can be a bit pricy. So far I haven't heard from the doctors regarding a bone shaving so I'm going to put that to the side and continue with the biking.

I have a new bike to play with today after a friend gave me his old DMR Trailstar after snapping my NS frame last year, at least I can save money by not hiring bikes anymore which is a relief :) So we built it up at the weekend so i'm hoping to give it a wee test ride today.

Cheers for the support

Scott
    Stevens Cyclocross
    One One Pompino
    Giant Talon 0