Bottom Bracket 1, Shimano Tool 0

simonp123
simonp123 Posts: 490
edited May 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Well it seems that fitting the press fit bottom bracket in my Trance X frame was too much for the brand new Shimano press fit tool! Damaged the thread on the tool. Got the BB in eventually but it shouldn't be that difficult surely!

Still a bit concerned as one side the bearing is flush with the frame, the other side has a small gap even though it is fully home in the seat. Looking at the frame one side had a deeper bearing housing than the other. The bearings were identical so no chance of getting them the wrong way. Should I be queried about it?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Sounds like you have not managed to fit it correctly.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • simonp123
    nicklouse wrote:
    Sounds like you have not managed to fit it correctly.

Well, the bearings are fully home, so that is not the issue. The bearing set was a Race Face one, there was a spacer hat was used for certain fitments, but not this one. You may be right, but if so then I am not sure what is wrong...
  • simonp123
    Just re-checked the frame info and it says it is a 86.5mm shell (which is road style rather than mountain bike style), and the installation instructions for the Race Face bottom bracket shows not fitting the 2.5mm spacer to the drive side for 86.5mm, so I presume that is correct :roll:
  • simonp123
    Hmmm, mystery solved, the shell width of the Trance frame is in fact 89.5mm, not the 86.5mm as stated in the frame info http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/bikes/model/trance.x.frameset/9034/51150/
    So... I should have put the 2.5mm spacer in there :roll:
    Now I am left with having to go to the LBS or buy a removal tool, plus the bearing will almost certainly be damaged by the removal process so i have to get another BB as well :evil:

I guess the lesson is measure first, but I am rather miffed that I can't trust info form the people who actually make the frame.
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    simonp123 wrote:
    Hmmm, mystery solved, the shell width of the Trance frame is in fact 89.5mm, not the 86.5mm as stated in the frame info http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/bikes/model/trance.x.frameset/9034/51150/
    Now I am left with having to go to the LBS or buy a removal tool, plus the bearing will almost certainly be damaged by the removal process so i have to get another BB as well :evil:

I guess the lesson is measure first, but I am rather miffed that I can't trust info form the people who actually make the frame.

Old Joinery saying "measure twice cut once"....
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • simonp123
    1mancity2 wrote:
    simonp123 wrote:

Old Joinery saying "measure twice cut once"....

LOL, yeah, you'd think after working in enginering (well, electronics, but I did a multi-discipline apprenticeship for 5 years) for 28 years I'd have learned that by now :oops:

Sorted now, the bearing was a nightmare to get out, but new one in with spacer. Piece of cake withthe RIGHT info.
    Can't say I see the advantage over the external screw-in bearings to be honest. It makes maintenance a nasty job for little benefit in my opinion
  • es185007
    es185007 Posts: 1
    I'm planning to build my own Trance X. Just want to double check. Did you use BB92 pressfit bottom bracket?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I doubt he's listening - Last visited: Wed May 16, 2012 1:27 pm
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    I think the key is more about not being a ham fisted oaf - if you were having to exert enough force to break the tool, and you had a random spacer did you not honestly think something may have been amiss!?

This is why when folk say "I'm an engineer" it brings on a collective rolling of eyes from every LBS employee!
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    cooldad wrote:
    I doubt he's listening - Last visited: Wed May 16, 2012 1:27 pm
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Good shout. My bad.