Difference between dry and wet lube?

joshr96
joshr96 Posts: 153
edited March 2012 in Road beginners
Yes this may be a question asked quite a lot and yes this will be annoying for everyone who is sick of rookies asking questions like this. Sorry :oops:

I just started cycling at Christmas 2011 and I would like to know the difference between dry and wet lube.

Which is better? Which would you recommend?

Thank you everyone :) Sorry for the rookie question :oops:

P.S I own a Carrera TDF 2011 Ltd Edition if this helps :D
Carrera TDF 2011 Limited Edition.
Crossbow Hybrid
Boardman AiR 9.8 one day..

Comments

• rake
    rake Posts: 3,204
    i dont know, but oil works on a bike chain.
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    Dry lube is generally for dry conditions. It's often thinner or leaves a waxy deposite. This has a dry feel to it when on the chain and it doesn't attract dirt as much as wet lube.

Wet libe is generally used for wet conditions. It is often thicker and stickier, clinging to the chain more and not getting wasned off in wet weather. If incorrectly applied, it can attract lots of dirt.
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • joshr96
    joshr96 Posts: 153
    MattC59 wrote:
    Dry lube is generally for dry conditions. It's often thinner or leaves a waxy deposite. This has a dry feel to it when on the chain and it doesn't attract dirt as much as wet lube.

Wet libe is generally used for wet conditions. It is often thicker and stickier, clinging to the chain more and not getting wasned off in wet weather. If incorrectly applied, it can attract lots of dirt.

Thanks Matt! Helped a lot 8)
    Carrera TDF 2011 Limited Edition.
    Crossbow Hybrid
    Boardman AiR 9.8 one day..
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,662
    Wet lube is generally used by MTBers who have to ride in the rain through rivers, puddles, mud and gloop and the like. It's very sticky as it has to stay in place despite all of the above. In dry dusty conditions, or on a road, the dust will just stick to the lube. You re unlikely to need it on the roadie unless you re going out on long rides in the rain frequently.

Dry lube is less sticky, but as a result can get washed off more easily - although on a road bike it will likely be fine...However will probably need reapplying after a damp/wet ride

Wax lube is good for dry conditions but can disappear in anything even a little bit wet.
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver