Possible fake Giant MCM Carbon Frame?

badflaw
badflaw Posts: 32
edited March 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hello I Purchased a used re sprayed 2000 carbon MCM Team frame

I looked on weight weenies and it I expected it to weigh between 1200 -1400

. I just Weighed it and its comes in at 1954g which was very surprising and a lot heavier than I expected.

Any ideas as to the expected weight?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    So where are the pics?

How did you weigh yours? How did WW weigh theirs?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I thought the MCM team frame from that age was carbon kevlar and no painted?
    http://www.bikepedia.com/Images/QBimage ... 85&if=2000 Giant MCM Team.jpg
    In which case it can't be 'resprayed' just sprayed.

I ride with a chap who has one, his frame weighed in at 1275g balanced on kitchen scales, the rear seat stay yoke is very distinctive and it should have inserted alloy V-brake bosses on them, although the one on bikepedia seems to be missing them.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • badflaw
    badflaw Posts: 32
    hmm I weighed mine on kitchen scales. though calibrration checked with 1 litre of water( being 1000gm)

It has Giant logos on the rear brake bosses, its carbon ..but it seems so heavy :-(
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    paint isn't actually weightless, so depending how many coats/thickess etc, it will add something to it, about 700g's by the sound of it :wink:
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • The Rookie
    I weighed my ally frame pre and post paint and it was about 40g of paint, a 300ml tin is mostly solvent!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Has it got a frame number. If it has someone at Giant might be able to tell you what you have.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • chez_m356
    I weighed my ally frame pre and post paint and it was about 40g of paint, a 300ml tin is mostly solvent!

Simon
    then you want to try giving it more than one coat, cant have been a very good spray job, didn't you use undercoat or lacquer ?
  • The Rookie
    Etch primer, 4 colour and 3 lacquer.......

Simon
  • chez_m356
    Etch primer, 4 colour and 3 lacquer.......

Simon
    you best buy some new scales then :lol: , with 4 colour coats that would have been the best part of a tin, the 300ml you talk about is the amount of paint,not including the propellant, a 400ml tin is roughly the same size as a large ketchup bottle, 605ml/700g, not hard to work out really is it, at the end of the day,was just giving him a possible realistic reason,who's to know how accurate his weighing method is ?
  • gtd.
    gtd. Posts: 626
    I'd be more concerned why its been sprayed?

Damaged could easily be disguised/filled then sprayed over!

Or am I just a carbon cynic?
    Mountain: Orange Patriot FR, SubZero & Evo2LE.
    Road: Tifosi Race Custom.
    Do it all bike: Surly Disc Trucker 700c/29er
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029

Simon
    Alloy surely?
  • chez_m356

Simon
    Alloy surely?
    alloy painted with something this size http://www.tamiya.com/english/products/ ... /index.htm ,there are conversion sites on google apparently 40grams works out to be roughly 40ml, must be a very small bike he has :wink:
  • The Rookie
    Teach me to read my posts properly, it was meant to read 240g (went from 1495g-1735g) I missed the 2!......still nowhere near 700g.

Simon
  • chez_m356
    Teach me to read my posts properly, it was meant to read 240g (went from 1495g-1735g) I missed the 2!......still nowhere near 700g.

Simon
    fair enough, i thought something was a bit off some how :lol: i wasn't really saying it was 700, i was just using the difference that he got more as a joke than fact, like i said, who knows how accurate his weighing was ? but, as was mentioned earlier, why has it been painted in the first place ?