Tubeless on standard Hope Hoops green tape?

Crayfish
Crayfish Posts: 225
edited April 2012 in MTB general
Just wondering whether anyone has gone tubeless (with Stans sealant) without stripping off the standard green tape that Hope Hoops come with (on NoTubes ZTR Crest rims) and without using Stans yellow tape...?

The green tape looks a bit gauzy but also looks like it will seal up pretty well. I'm tempted to give it a go with just the green tape on there... what do you think?
http://www.youtube.com/user/stumpy25lbs
Choose a ****ing big television. Choose washing machines, cars, compact disc players, and electrical tin can openers. Choose a bike. Choose some singletrack. Choose your future. Choose Life. (Irv Welsh)

Comments

• tony620
    tony620 Posts: 194
    Think the green tapes porous so you will lose air through it guessing your tyres will be going down a fair bit.
  • Crayfish
    But the Stans sealant will take care of that? Or not? just don't know...
    Choose a ****ing big television. Choose washing machines, cars, compact disc players, and electrical tin can openers. Choose a bike. Choose some singletrack. Choose your future. Choose Life. (Irv Welsh)
  • Crayfish wrote:
    But the Stans sealant will take care of that? Or not? just don't know...

The stans won't seal the porous rim tape as it sits in the tire, not on the rim... I'd buy some Stans tape or rim strips so you don't become one of the ones that hates tubeless... ;0)
  • sanchez89
    sanchez89 Posts: 567
    i would be extremely surprised if the green tape did seal, but you could always try it if your feeling confident.

report back on your findings.
    2011 KHS Full Susser Carbon 29er Race Build
    Clank wrote:
    M'eh, I might just go back to zapping it with frikken lay-zur beeeems. And sharks.
  • toasty
    toasty Posts: 2,598
    You're going to make a huge mess, as all the spoke holes will get slime in them, this sounds like a terrible plan. The Yellow Tape is like a plastic tape, the standard rim tape isn't meant to be air tight.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    You're going to make a huge mess, as all the spoke holes will get slime in them, this sounds like a terrible plan. The Yellow Tape is like a plastic tape, the standard rim tape isn't meant to be air tight.

This. It'll cost £5 and take 5 minutes, do it properly.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    + root vegetable.

If you don't want to buy the yellow tape, then you can use quality electric tape instead but it's not as good- you're more likely to damage it changing tyres and it can lose its stick after a while.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Crayfish
    chickened out and used yellow tape - damned expensive stuff though. Thanks for putting me off - probably saved a big mess
  • Experiment conducted on Hope Hoops ZTR 29er Crest Rims, Schwalbe Hans Dampf Tyres.

Oh dear, that didn't work. I can confirm that the Hope's green rim tape does not seal with Stan's sealant, nor does the yellow tape stick to the green tape so it has to come off. Getting the yellow tape in is like a work out, if your arms don't hurt by the time you've done a wheel then you haven't pulled it tight enough.

Once the yellow tape was in the tyres clacked into place with a Blackburn Air Tower track pump at about 37 PSI. :D
  • Crayfish
    Experiment conducted on Hope Hoops ZTR 29er Crest Rims, Schwalbe Hans Dampf Tyres.

Oh dear, that didn't work. I can confirm that the Hope's green rim tape does not seal with Stan's sealant, nor does the yellow tape stick to the green tape so it has to come off. Getting the yellow tape in is like a work out, if your arms don't hurt by the time you've done a wheel then you haven't pulled it tight enough.

Once the yellow tape was in the tyres clacked into place with a Blackburn Air Tower track pump at about 37 PSI. :D

Glad it worked out in the end. I had a bit of a nightmare. What happened was I did not use emery cloth to smooth off the spoke holes before using the yellow tape. Unbeknown to me a sharp edge on a spoke hole caused a tear in the yellow tape that I did not notice. I tried for days to get the tyre to stay up without success. Eventually had to strip everything off again and redo the yellow tape. Big mess!

Important lesson: always check for sharp edges on spoke holes and try to use emery paper to smooth off BEFORE using yellow tape.
  • I took the green tape off my Flows, got some green scotchbrite (abrasive pad) form work to smooth all sharp edges and provide a key for the stans tape.... Been going strong for 2 years now!