How do you clean your chain?

toastedone
toastedone Posts: 838
edited March 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Looking for some ideas on the best way to clean a chain, I have tried a chain cleaning device but didn't think a lot to it, if you clean the chain off the bike do you use a quick link to make it easier to take the chain off and on? If you do clean your chain off the bike what solutions do you use for degreasing?

Comments

• Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    I use a power link and dunk it in some degreaser or white spirit every now and then. Then just wipe dry, put it back on and lube
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I use a wax lube (Squirt) and just hose it when I clean the bike and dry it off. No need to degrease.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Chain cleaning is a religion to some and there are many of them with different beliefs on what you should do and how to kill a chain.

Anyway, most the time I just do a quick squirt of lube on it before the next ride and off I go.

If I'm feeling like cleaning the bike properly the chain may get a wash, dry then oil. I use the Park Tools chain cleaner gadget which is fancy expense, but you can get cheaper options or any alternate methods. Anyway, water with small bit of washing liquid, quick spin with that, rinse, dry and then most importantly oil (apply to inside of the chain making sure it drives the oil well into the links).

Oh, and I stick to dry lube all the time now. That's another religious debate thing.
  • mrmonkfinger
    mrmonkfinger Posts: 1,452
    every few rides:

using a chain cleaner, with soapy water, sometimes some degreaser, gets dirt and crud off
    hose it down
    dry it quickly
    lube it up again

works for me, chains last as long as I'd expect
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Finish Line Grunge Brush with washing-up liquid if it's pretty clean (MTB) or white spirit if it's a real state (road bike). Takes 2 minutes.
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    Someone bought me a park chain cleaning thingy and I use that with some degreaser. I don't do this very often, only when it gets really bad. Mostly I just re-oil it when I wash the bike, as long as you don't leave the chain dripping with excess oil then I find it usually stays quite clean.
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Split chain with power link dunk it in the bike wash bucket (squirt of Fenwicks FS1 bike cleaner in the water) a few times then run it through a rag till the black lines of crud stop appearing dry it hanging in the shed, lube, replace and ride. I did once drive to the Lakes, get bike off roof get dressed for winter jump on bike and nearly bust my nuts on the crossbar. The chain was still hanging up in shed had to wait an hour for bike shop to open to buy new chain. Fella behind counter lent me a chain tool after he had finished laughing at me.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • andymc06
    andymc06 Posts: 245
    Jet wash and WD40 or cooking oil :D
    If at first you don't succeed, spend some more money on kit!

Giant Trance X3 2011
  • andymc06
    andymc06 Posts: 245
    Disclaimer - Do not use jet wash or cooking oil on your bike (and probably not WD40 on your chain)!
    If at first you don't succeed, spend some more money on kit!

Giant Trance X3 2011
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Cooking oil works better than no oil at all.
  • Anonymous
    And good for bacon too.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    No that's rubbish cooking oil is not needed for bacon there is enough fat innit.
  • Anonymous
    Hotel in the States I was in didn't seem to think so. They had hundreds of rashers which they appeared to deep fry for breakfast!