Hose Pipe Bans and Bike Cleaning

Zendog1
Zendog1 Posts: 816
edited July 2012 in The bottom bracket
It looks like the south east is going to have a ban from shortly. Does anyone know if bike cleaning is included?

I just read the Thames Water notice in the paper - motor vehicles, boats, windows and gardens are specified but not bikes.

Just to mention I have a water meter and am very frugal anyway but a hose is just easier than a watering can.

Comments

• pottssteve
    pottssteve Posts: 4,069
    I cleaned my bike last weekend with one bucket of water. Started with the frame, moved to wheels/rims and ended with drive chain (using citrus degreaser first). Granted, it didn't come up quite like new, but it's not bad. I don't think a hose is really needed anyway.

Steve
    Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs
  • Fill one of those garden sprayers (the ones you put pathclear etc in and pump up) from the tap in the house, wash bike with bucket of soapy water as normal, and clean off crud with water sprayer. Job done !!!
    Stop ... Stop .... there's something wrong with the bike !!!
    reality: I'm shagged and I need a break
  • Brian B
    Brian B Posts: 2,071
    Come up to Scotland and you can clean your bike in swimming pool if you want - we have lots of water up here! Too much in fact and last year I counted only 8 days in total in June, July, August when it did not rain at all. We also had our usual quota during winter.
    Brian B.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    Get one of these bad bois - http://www.muc-off.com/products/bicycle ... hing_brush

Make washing from a bucket much easier as you can properly slop the water over the bike with it.
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    I've only ever cleaned my bikes with bucket and sponge. but no matter, we in the North West seem to have plenty of water too, buy yourself a 300 mile length of hosepipe and give me a shout when you want the tap turned on.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Zendog1 wrote:
    It looks like the south east is going to have a ban from shortly. Does anyone know if bike cleaning is included?

The ban is on hosepipes - not specific uses. TBH, it probably won't make much difference to cleaning time or efficiency using a bucket anyway.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Contingency plan -
    Start a riot and use your bike as a shield :twisted:

"The force is already considering buying water cannon, while baton rounds are being made more readily available."
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-17362438

Only kidding obviously. Come up north and help us get rid of some of our water :wink:
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • Zendog1
    Zendog1 Posts: 816
    "The ban is on hosepipes - not specific uses" -???

The text says:

"Thames Water Utilities Limited gives notice to all of its customers, that the potable* water it supplies throughout its entire area must not be used for the following purposes:
    watering a ‘garden’ using a hosepipe;
    cleaning a private motor-vehicle using a hosepipe;
    watering plants on domestic or other non-commercial premises using a hosepipe;
    cleaning a private leisure boat using a hosepipe;
    filling or maintaining a domestic swimming or paddling pool;
    drawing water, using a hosepipe, for domestic recreational use;
    filling or maintaining a domestic pond using a hosepipe;
    filling or maintaining an ornamental fountain;
    cleaning walls, or windows, of domestic premises using a hosepipe;
    cleaning paths or patios using a hosepipe;
    cleaning other artificial outdoor surfaces using a hosepipe."

I guess a bike could be caught by the last one or the recreational use but that's why I asked the question.

So does anyone know the answer?
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 4,023
    Personally I'd take it as literal, a hosepipe ban means precisely that.
  • Trickyh
    Trickyh Posts: 50
    Howabout you permanently plumbed in a pressure washer to your outside tap??
  • sfichele
    sfichele Posts: 605
    I use a watering can filled up from the water butt. Never really needed to use a hosepipe for cleaning the road-bike
  • rolf_f
    edited March 2012
    Zendog1 wrote:

The text says:

It's a hosepipe ban - ie a ban on using hosepipes. Obviously, there are other useage bans as well that don't involve a hosepipe but you can, for example, assume that washing a car (or bicycle) with a bucket of water will use much less water than a hosepipe whereas maintaining a swimming pool will always use the same amount of water however you choose to fill it.
  • rolf_f
    Trickyh wrote:
    Howabout you permanently plumbed in a pressure washer to your outside tap??

Even if you can successfully argue that that is exempt (good luck) the point is that the water needs to be saved which is why the ban is in force; looking for loopholes isn't really constructive. In reality, it is a very small inconvenience to the majority and the alternative (ie no hosepipe ban every generation or so) is a massive expenditure that the residents of the South and East would have to pay for themselves. And they probably wouldn't be too keen on that.
  • Surely you all use wet wipes to clean your bikes?
  • carl_p
    carl_p Posts: 989
    Zendog1 wrote:

The text says:

"Thames Water Utilities Limited gives notice to all of its customers, that the potable* water it supplies throughout its entire area must not be used for the following purposes:
    watering a ‘garden’ using a hosepipe;
    cleaning a private motor-vehicle using a hosepipe;
    watering plants on domestic or other non-commercial premises using a hosepipe;
    cleaning a private leisure boat using a hosepipe;
    filling or maintaining a domestic swimming or paddling pool;
    filling or maintaining a domestic pond using a hosepipe;
    filling or maintaining an ornamental fountain;
    cleaning walls, or windows, of domestic premises using a hosepipe;
    cleaning paths or patios using a hosepipe;
    cleaning other artificial outdoor surfaces using a hosepipe."

I guess a bike could be caught by the last one or the recreational use but that's why I asked the question.

So does anyone know the answer?

Yes don't use a hosepipe.

On the bright side not being able to do the above activities frees up more time for cycling :D
    Specialized Venge S Works
    Cannondale Synapse
    Enigma Etape
    Genesis Flyer Single Speed

Turn the corner, rub my eyes and hope the world will last...
  • Brian B
    Brian B Posts: 2,071
    Thought I would resuurect this thread now that Blightly has had a pretty dismal summer and was wondering how you are affected now
    Brian B.
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    I was disappointed that I wasn't able to use a short length of hose pipe for whipping the local chavs !
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    Surely cyclists are anarchists, by which I don't mean out of control, rather out of their control!

Ban away if it makes you feel better :D

It would never occur to me to use a hose to wash a bike!
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • Trickyh
    We are still under the ban (veolia bollox water) when all around us the ban is lifted. I just use the hose anyway.. Fúck em if they dont know how to manage water supplies. They should have their monopoly taken away...

All the garden centers around our way are showing how to attach a pressure washer to a water butt. Thats great, if you want to wash your car with stinky stagnant water full of mozzie larvae.. :twisted:
  • My waterbut has a tight fitting lid so it's just water in there - no mozzies or leaves. So I'm off looking for a cheap pressure washer as mine split the pump housing over the winter :-( its always the non repairable bit that goes isn't it?
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 4,023
    Traditionally it's just wielding a tennis racquet or cricket bat in the open that was enough to bring out the rain. Turns out this year various water companies and news items declaring a drought and telling us how desperate the situation is was enough to guarantee the wettest spring/early summer for over a hundred years :roll:
  • jim453
    jim453 Posts: 1,360
    Trickyh wrote:
    We are still under the ban (veolia bollox water) when all around us the ban is lifted. I just use the hose anyway.. Fúck em if they dont know how to manage water supplies. They should have their monopoly taken away...

All the garden centers around our way are showing how to attach a pressure washer to a water butt. Thats great, if you want to wash your car with stinky stagnant water full of mozzie larvae.. :twisted:

F@ck who? It's you and your area who will run out of water if everyone does that. Moron.
  • Trickyh
    jim453 wrote:
    Trickyh wrote:

F@ck who? It's you and your area who will run out of water if everyone does that. Moron.

Believe all the propaganda you want m8.. x
  • jim453
    jim453 Posts: 1,360
    Ok, I will. Thanks.

You're probably right though. Whatever the actual water situation is, the best course of action is almost certainly to indiscriminately and wilfully waste water.
  • ste_
    ste_ Posts: 124
    jim453 wrote:
    Ok, I will. Thanks.

You're probably right though. Whatever the actual water situation is, the best course of action is almost certainly to indiscriminately and wilfully waste water.

Who says he's wilfully wasting water?

I didn't use my hosepipe in the ban, but only for social conformity reasons. A hosepipe with an an/off trigger at the end is the most efficient means for washing my cars that I've found.

Pissing about walking back and forth to your tap to fill a bucket or watering can to pour over the car uses more water and does a worse job.