How much difference does new stuff make.

themekon
themekon Posts: 197
edited March 2012 in Amateur race
Just wondering. My best times were done a few years ago on a Reynolds 653 low profile. Mavic mach 2 ceramic rims on Campag Record hubs, radial spoked front and crossed rear,Vittoria cx tubs. Campag 8 speed with 52/42 rings. Profile try bars .Skin suit but ordinary helmet.
How much faster do you think would I have been with one of the new super aero framesets such as Argon 18, deep section carbon rims and or a disc, aero helmet and an aero tri bar set up. Say over 10 and 25 miles?.

Comments

• Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    17.645 seconds a mile.
  • Pokerface
    Or alternatively, read this article: http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/article/h ... ero-19273/
  • Herbsman
    Herbsman Posts: 2,029
    edited March 2012
    Depends, but a lot of it is psychological. Without wanting to dismiss the actual energy savings from more aerodynamic gear, it might make you feel more confident. As a result, you might work harder during a time trial if you are physically capable of doing so.
    CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Buying new stuff is essential. You have to buy something new for your bike at least once a month otherwise you'll get left behind in the freaking awesome stakes.
    Furthermore, when people keep buying new stuff it means they have to sell their old stuff meaning my winter bike can have 2nd hand SR11 and Lightweights.
    Keep the economy moving.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    Pokerface wrote:
    17.645 seconds a mile.
    Not sute this rings true, that means that my modest PB avhieved nearly 30 years ago on a raliegh road ace with normakl bars and wheels would have been 19mins on a modern \tt bike ? hmm think not :D
    What about the top riders then like Ian Hammish and John Pritchard who were doing 20 mnins then, that means they would be doing 17 minute 10's and a whopping 30 minutes off their 100m TT's ?
    That would put them ahead of Tony Martin, Canc and Wiggo in modern terms, so that would mean that the pros of today really are not as good as domestic TT riders of the past as it is all down to the new bikes :D
    Agreed they make you faster, my estimate (~ no data to back up lol) would be closer to 6secs per mile.
  • themekon
    I was just thinking that oldwelshman, would have given me an 18 min 10 and a 46 min 25. Still it would be nice to turn back the clock,have those young legs again and see what could be achieved with todays kit.
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    themekon wrote:
    I was just thinking that oldwelshman, would have given me an 18 min 10 and a 46 min 25. Still it would be nice to turn back the clock,have those young legs again and see what could be achieved with todays kit.
    I am not sure but I heard Cammish beat his old pcb quite recently so that was probably due to new bike set up and as you will know endurance does not fade with age, only top end sprinting speed :D my bike was 531, now sat on a turbo but \I do use 853 for winter bike and one track bike is 853.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    I think...I think...pokerface may have been joking...I think
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • themekon
    ddraver wrote:
    I think...I think...pokerface may have been joking...I think

Yes I'm sure you are right. Its one of those unanswerable questions really like would Mohamed Ali have defeated Rocky Marciano. Its just that I visit the club on a race day and just love the latest bikes and kit but at 65 I know that whilst you can be fit for your age there is no way that the performance of 15 years ago let alone 30 is going to be there. Even so, I would like to think that If I had had the current fantastic kit and training methods that are available these days my times would have been a fair bit faster.
  • Pokerface
    Yes - you missed my dazzling sarcasm in my comment.

The short answer is - new equipment will definitely make you go faster. How much is based on far too many variables to say with any degree of certainty.

Or just go with 17.645 seconds a mile and save yourself some money ;)
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    Herbsman wrote:
    Depends, but a lot of it is psychological. So if you are actually capable of going faster, the psychological effect of better gear might make you work harder

+1... with you on that...
  • Herbsman
    Herbsman Posts: 2,029
    Edited that slightly, I was in a hurry the first thyme 'round and thought 'that's bollocks' when I actually read what I wrote...
    CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!