2010 Boardman HT Pro rear mech accident

Robodot
Robodot Posts: 8
edited March 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hey everyone, requiring a little assistance on how to repair my boardman and here's the story...

A couple days ago I was testing out my new cycle computer seeing how high I could get the numbers and on this short bit of road i got up to about 25 mph and so at the end of the road I grabbed the brakes and dropped down the gears at a fairly higher than normal speed but nothing drastic and a lot Of noise started to come from the back as then all of a sudden my back wheel locks up. I immediately pull my bike to one side to see what on earth happened and the back rear mech hanger had sheared straight off, at first I thought it was gonna be an expensive fix being a boardman but a quick look on eBay and the part is only about 8 quid. I have taken off one half of the hanger remains but the nut holding the other half in is either unbelievably tight or i'm meant to release something in order to free it. Also, I have a limited edition pro and there is a carbon fibre guard which guides the chain along and that has snapped in two aswell. I have no idea what happened at the time when the damage was done, but it sounds like a pretty violent gear change and I'm not sure how much the carbon but will cost me to replace.

Any advise you lot can give me would be great, and whilst I'm talking about my bike, it has Avid Elixir R's on it and they're not as sharp as the other boardman's we have, don't think it needs new pads, how easy is it to bleed the brakes?

Cheers,

Rob

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    the hanger is only held on by one bolt.

pics of the issue would help.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    nick: The hanger is held onto the frame with one bolt, but the mech is held onto the hanger with another bolt.

So which bit is stuck?
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • nicklouse
    but i think he is on about the mech cage.

PS dont forget many hanger are fitted to the frame with more than one bolt. but not the Boardman IIRC.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    As the hanger is snapped, I presume he's talking about the bolt holding hanger to frame, the right size allen socket and ratchet will undo it easily enough, different frames have different hangers, so make sure you get the right one, Halfords only charge £8 for the one for the Carrera's which may or may not be the same (both Merida frames).

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • bails87
    Who knows! A pic may help, or for the OP to double check his terminology.

I was quoted £25 for a hanger but they ended up giving it to me for free.
    MTB/CX

• Robodot
    Sorry guys wasn't very clear on which part I was having issues with, it's the bit of the hanger which is still connected to the mech, it's like a sort of internal bolt, an alan key fits into it but it's just not budging.
    And regarding the cost of the hanger, I saw ones from 8 to 30 quid, a quick search on eBay did the trick!

Rob
  • bails87
    You're turning it from the 'outside' (if the mech & hanger were still attached to the bike)?

The one on my Boardman was bloody tight, I just about managed to get it off and then greased it so that it would come off in future.
    MTB/CX

• Robodot
    Hey,

Again, sorry for the VERY late reply this time, i managed to get my hands on an SRAM X-7 rear derailleur but here are some pictures of the X-0 derailleur on the bike which i'm having the trouble with:

The green circle part is where the bolt is, the part where you slot the alan key into is inside the bolt.
    SlWrD.jpg

There's the part of the hanger which is still attatched to the derailleur
    ONhyT.jpg

And then the mullered carbon fiber plate/cage?
    nMcQN.jpg

The only problem with the hanger is getting it off, i've already got a replacement one, but i can't seem to source the carbon plate on its own, i've had a look on SRAM website and BlackBox Technologie's who actually manufacture it, but no use.

If i can't find the carbon bit or if its too expensive, i'll just stick the X-7 one on, cheers for all your help so far

Rob
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Pictures? Can't see any.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • bails87
    I can see them.

Can you soak the bolt in WD40/penetrating fluid to help release it.
    MTB/CX

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    So can I now.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • nicklouse
    vice and proper size allen key.

new carbon plates are the same cost as a new mech on CRC.
  • Just wondering also how and this happened? Sounds like maybe teh mech got caught up in the spokes, in which case you need to be careful with your 'low screw adjustmen when you refit . I would suggest Plus Gas for freeing up seized bolts.
  • Robodot
    Took it to my mate who works in halfords and he put it in a vice and it just wouldn't budge.
    Before it all happened the gears did seen to be making a bit of noise so I'll take it back to him if I have any other issues.

Cheers

Rob
  • andrewjoseph
    andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165
    check for damaged spokes on the rear wheel.
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails