Giant Trance X Build

simonp123
simonp123 Posts: 490
edited March 2012 in Your mountain bikes
So, to my Giant Trance X build!
I bought a frameset on a great deal, and will use most of the bits from my current bike, built on a 2004 Specialized Stumpjumper frame. I had so many good bitson the Stumpy it made sense to transfer most of them on to a new frame rather then buy a new bike. At least that way I get all the bits I want.

Frame has arrived!
6982096947_dec78efa62.jpg

As have the bottom bracket and press fit tool. Still waiting for the Goodridge gear cable set and Goodridge brake hose kit for the rear brake as the one from teh Stumpy will be too short.

Hopefully by the time I get this built I will have the all clear to ride again after hand surgery :)

Comments

• chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    simonp123 wrote:
    Frame has arrived!
    6982096947_dec78efa62.jpg
    looks like a box to me, i thought they were made out of something a bit stronger than cardboard :wink:
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • simonp123
    Gahhh!!! No wonder it was cheap :lol:
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    simonp123 wrote:
    I bought a frameset on a great deal, and will use most of the bits from my current bike, built on a 2004 Specialized Stumpjumper frame. I had so many good bitson the Stumpy it made sense to transfer most of them on to a new frame rather then buy a new bike. At least that way I get all the bits I want.

you will want new bits, its a disease you know.....
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • Bigmitch
    Bigmitch Posts: 65
    1mancity2 wrote:
    simonp123 wrote:

Tell me a about it I got a cube sting frame I was taking all the parts off a custom kona kula gold but ended up just using the groupset I got bit bad by to bug
  • simonp123
    Well, the first stage of the build - fitting the bottom bracket - has been a disaster :cry: See here:http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=10004&t=12841991
    New BB and remover tool on order :roll:
  • simonp123
    1mancity2 wrote:
    simonp123 wrote:

Not yet, this is what I have to transfer off my Stumpy:

Shimano XT Shadow rear mech
    Shimano SLX front mech
    Shimano SLX cranks
    Middleburn hardened coating triple chainring
    Shimano XT 9-speed cassette
    SRAM chain – can’t remember which one
    Shimano XT rear shifter (very old but works fine, came with teh Stumpy)
    SRAM front shifter (not sure which, higher end one. Old again but works well)
    Hope Hoops with Stan’s Flow rims
    RockShocx Reba Team 120mm Maxxle forks
    SDG I-beam seatpost and Formula FX seat
    RaceFace Turbine stem 70mm
    Answer Pro Taper 720 AM Carbon Riser Bar
    Formula Oro brakes
    CNC Nano Tech Flat pedals
    ODI Yeti lock-on grips

Should make a nice build...for now :lol:
  • Soooo ummmmm, can we see the frame? 8)
    Very funny Scotty, now beam me down my clothes.
  • simonp123
    Soooo ummmmm, can we see the frame? 8)

Yes, now I've stopped swearing at it and it has a bottom bracket installed, next time the camera and frame ar in the same place. probably next week as I have no time over the weekend really to do much with it :cry: Still dunno why Giant press in the headset cups and give you the headset bits but do not fit a BB :roll:

Still, hoses and cables have turned up from CRC so I should... have all I need.
  • simonp123
    OK, got on to the build proper this evening.
    It took about 45 minutes to raid all the bits from the Stumpjumper frame. It did look a bit sorry for itself afterwards :oops:
    Lots of the bits need a good clean (especially as I'm doing the build indoors!) and I didn't fancy that after a busy day. However I now have the headset, forks (including front brake which I left on), stem handlebars and seat & post on there. It is surprising, as soon as you put the seat and forks on it looks like a bike again. I also put the back brake on, but as predicted I need to make a longer hose.
    Tomorrow I should get the cranks, and front and rear mechs on, then start the slow task of cutting and fitting the gear cable bits.

I took photos but had to use the mobile phone as my wife has the camera and is away:roll: I'll pop them up tomorrow.
  • gmacz
    gmacz Posts: 343
    Is this just a giant frame box and you are going to paint wheels on the box, and handlebars made of straw etc.
  • simonp123
    Some photos of the build so far, sorry about the quality, mobile phones cameras are OK, but not that great in low light :(

I was wrong about the rear brake hose, it is just long enough in fact. I might re-do it anyway though to make it the perfect length. After I have given it a trial run though :wink:

The new frame prior to build
    6853320742_6a13fc659c.jpg

Nice adaptive logic RP23 shock, shame there is no Kashima coating....
    6853310732_c2164312c2.jpg

Weight of the frameset with bottom bracket installed and seatpost clamp fitted. Not too bad.
    6999435083_c9bb37534c.jpg

Stripped Stumpjumper frame looking a bit sad :(
    6999435747_1d5363381a.jpg

The frame with forks bars and seat fitted.
    6853310526_9a41d2146c.jpg

The carbon bars, plus the carbon fibre steerer spacers that come with the Giant headset!
    6853311110_648f95c544.jpg
  • simonp123
    gmacz wrote:
    Is this just a giant frame box and you are going to paint wheels on the box, and handlebars made of straw etc.

Look, my Don Quixote complex is not a joke... :lol:
  • gmacz
    gmacz Posts: 343
    A little prod and the pics are here.
    Bike looks great.
    Will be a beauty when it is finished.
  • t0pc4t
    t0pc4t Posts: 947
    looking good, keep us updated
    Whether you're a king or a little street sweeper, sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper.

Cube Curve 2009
    Giant Anthem X4

FCN=6
  • simonp123
    gmacz wrote:
    A little prod and the pics are here.
    Bike looks great.
    Will be a beauty when it is finished.

I hope so. My white brakes and grips do stand out rather :shock: but sometimes when you go for bargains colour choice is not an option!
    I really like the matt/silk brushed finish that you get only on the frameset.
  • Very nice frame! PM inbound about the stumpy though... ;)
    Very funny Scotty, now beam me down my clothes.
  • simonp123
    To add my joy, last night the Tax Man gave me a nice big cheque for overpaid tax 8)
    I guess it was my money anyway that they nicked, but still a nice surprise.
    Now, what other bits can I buy for that frame..... :lol:
  • simonp123
    gmacz wrote:
    A camera mount.

Ah, but then I'd have to buy a GoPro and then everyone could see how rubbish my riding is, and how slow I am up hills LOL
  • 1mancity2
    simonp123 wrote:
    To add my joy, last night the Tax Man gave me a nice big cheque for overpaid tax 8)
    I guess it was my money anyway that they nicked, but still a nice surprise.
    Now, what other bits can I buy for that frame..... :lol:

Reverb seatpost, trust me you will want one.......
  • simonp123
    OK, it is looking like a bike now. Cranks in mechs on, gear cable runs done, wheels on. I just need to set the front mech position, and then clamp and adjust the cables and fit the chain and we are there! I have to clean the chain first though and I don’t have a tub of paraffin handy.

I found a little problem in that the inner lugs of the granny ring foul on the frame at a couple of points when turning and have removed the paint. It looks like the outer machining is not quite concentric with the machining for the press fit bearing. I can just tickle a bit off the granny ring lugs with the Dremmel, but I am a little surprised by this.

I sat on the bike and found I needed a lot of pressure in the rear shock to get the right sag, whereas I had to let some out of the fork. I guess the Trance had the weight more rearward than the Stumpy. There is massively more clearance round the rear wheel than on the Stumpy, so that will be good for muddy UK conditions!
    Cockpit fit seems pretty good, the forearm test between the saddle and bars comes smack on. Only riding will tell for sure.

I haven’t weighed the bike yet, but it feels pretty similar to the Stumpy which is good.

Nearly complete bike, hadn’t finished the cable runs at this point. You see how well my red pedals go with the colour scheme! Went better with the red and grey theme of the Stumpy.. I’m not buying new ones just to match though :evil:
    6856439136_316698a586.jpg
    7002578699_1141c6f939.jpg
  • simonp123
    It lives!!

Apart from some cable ties and a little mech adjustment, the build is finished :D

I couldn't resist taking it out for a spin before it got too late, but by that point I hadn't go the front mech cabled up so I was using just the granny ring! I only went round the estate a bit, but it was good to get it running.
    The first thing is it felt very different to the ones I test rode, much sharper handling, less pedal bob, quicker to accelerate, more sprightly all round.
    I weighed the bike (with me holding on bathroom scales) and it comes in around 12Kg so I'm pretty chuffed with that, about the same weight as my 100mm travel Stumpy.
    I guess the lighter weight will make the bike feel much more sprightly, and the lighter wheels will help the turn for sure.
    With the Pro Pedal on and the front forks locked out the whole bike goes pretty rigid and responds quickly which will be good for climbs or flat stuff.
    The size seems pretty comfy, definitely less cramped than the Stumpy.
    The rear suspension is very plush when the shock is fully open, soaked up kerbs with ease. The weight distribution feels good, you can pop the front end up with relative ease but it is not over light.

I'll need to get on some trails to really see what it can do, but seems good so far, so pretty pleased. 8)
  • lovely looking bike. I've recently upgraded from a Anthem to a Trance. Massive difference, yet there is hardly any weight penalty. Fly's downhill yet relatively easy on the ups. Great Bike
  • simonp123
    The finished article, well apart from sorting out those cable ties and some adjustments/tweaking. Oh and taking off those bits of frame protection plastic!
    7005442115_60e2d9f0a2.jpg
  • 1mancity2
    Nice, good goin on getting it up and running, now get it thrashed and you will be upgrading to a Reign next!!
  • simonp123
    1mancity2 wrote:
    Nice, good goin on getting it up and running, now get it thrashed and you will be upgrading to a Reign next!!

Thanks, I could have got it up and running in one evening if I hadn't had to clean and scrub everything I took off the old bike!
  • 1mancity2
    Get that Reverb ordered, trust me after a couple of weeks you will be glad of it cuz Trances like to go downhill.
  • simonp123
    1mancity2 wrote:
    Get that Reverb ordered, trust me after a couple of weeks you will be glad of it cuz Trances like to go downhill.

Maybe, they seem like a lot of cash for what they are though. The Trance and I have something in common then, hopefully that is where it ends coz I HATE going uphill :lol:
  • 1mancity2
    They are expensive but worth every penny, 1st time you hit something and drop it you will think, "why did I wait so long!!"