Laptop choices

mrc1
mrc1 Posts: 852
edited March 2012 in Commuting chat
Looking for a new laptop as the current one is starting to throw wobblers and is reaching the end of its useful life (5 or so years and not very good to start with).

PC World business centre recommended this one:

http://www.pcworldbusiness.co.uk/catalogue/item/P119449P?home-ad=lenovo-thinkpad-edge-e520&home-ad-id=2413&banner-position=1

Seems like a pretty good deal all considered but I wondered whether anyone else could recomnmend something else within that budget or slightly more (an absolute max of 700)?

Its mainly used for MS Office but also needs to deal with pictures from a DSLR and some picture/short video editing. Does this laptop have the graphics power for this sort of stuff? Can I add a graphics card to boost its performance or is that not possible?

Cheers

Rob
http://www.ledomestiquetours.co.uk

Le Domestique Tours - Bespoke cycling experiences with unrivalled supported riding, knowledge and expertise.

Ciocc Extro - FCN 1

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    It's a good one.
    http://www.techradar.com/news/mobile-co ... ?artc_pg=3

Tech radar rate it for exactly what you want it for.
  • esspeebee
    esspeebee Posts: 174
    ThinkPads are good. Generally sensibly specced, and well put together.

Don't assume that you can upgrade any laptop at all. The exceptions are hard disk, which is usually doable on anything but the ultra-thin models, and RAM, where there may or may not be space for more. That said, you won't need a graphics card for picture or video editing -- the dedicated card is only needed for the sort of 3D rendering done in games or modelling applications. The more important thing for photo and video work is memory. That's got 4G, which is probably enough, and will take an upgrade to 8G later if it isn't. It ought to do fine.
  • The correct answer, of course is:

http://store.apple.com/uk/product/FC968B/A

:D
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Hate to say it, but if you can stretch to a macbook then it's worth the investment. They seem to last far longer than windows machines without slowing down quite so badly. I assume because the OS and the Hardware are made for each other. Convinced that in the long term it works out as being cheaper.
  • vermin
    vermin Posts: 1,739
    Retailers will always help customers to purchase massively over-specced computers.

Up to you, of course, but ... you want to use office, photos and the odd bit of video editing? You'd get away with something like a bog standard cheapo AMD Fusion chip and a couple of gigs of RAM and still have a machine that is more than adequate. Anything more goes into the 'nice-to-have' category. Honestly, buying an i5 or i7 laptop for word-processing really is sledgehammer/nut stuff.

So you could sacrifice some of the processing power in favour of searching out the best display you can find for your money, rather than concentrating on performance specs. After all, that's what you spend the whole time looking at, and the vast majority of laptop screens are just pants (dimly lit low res 1366x768 jobs with washed out colours and no contrast). I haven't looked for anything so specific, but Dell screens are usually pretty good and you might be able to custom-build a high-res screen into a lower-end build for that sort of money.
  • vermin
    I think I would consider recommending a Mac these days, because whilst they take the p with their pricing, and their corporate attitude and insincere/misleading marketing stinks to high heaven, they use wonderful displays and some of the upfront cost can be offset by the resale value.

Unfortunately, the OP has a £700 limit, which would buy him a MacDongle, at best.
  • vermin wrote:
    Dell screens are usually pretty good and you might be able to custom-build a high-res screen into a lower-end build for that sort of money.

Certainly not on my work laptop, god-awful screen on that one - and it wasn't a cheap laptop either.
  • vermin wrote:
    I think I would consider recommending a Mac these days, because whilst they take the p with their pricing, and their corporate attitude and insincere/misleading marketing stinks to high heaven, they use wonderful displays and some of the upfront cost can be offset by the resale value.

Unfortunately, the OP has a £700 limit, which would buy him a MacDongle, at best.

I linked to a £719 refurbished MacBook Air, extremely good machine and unlikely to give any backache when carried in a backpack. £19 over budget, but offset anti-virus costs and it's a winner. Plus the quality of output from the iWork suite of word-processor, etc makes Office look like crap (though you can also get office). If you're wanting photo editing, the Mac wins hands-down.
  • vermin
    Re: Dell screens - Yeah, but you're comparing to to a Mac!

To be fair to them, Dell have changed a bit in the last year or so - the new screens are really rather good, and the opportunity to custom-build-in a high-res sets them apart from the usual Windows crowd.

Re: the refurb'd Air - good spot.
  • Yukirin
    Yukirin Posts: 231
    My main, everyday use, dont care if its dropped by the kids laptop is a p4 1.6 vaio with 256mb ram. Running a stripped back windows xp it does all my open office, itunes, tv web streaming, photoshop and browsing no trouble. The laptop you've picked would be fine for the needs you listed wouldnt worry about upgrading graphics card unless you want to enter games territory, in which uping your budget to an alienware by Dell would be a very good call.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    vermin wrote:

I linked to a £719 refurbished MacBook Air, extremely good machine and unlikely to give any backache when carried in a backpack. £19 over budget, but offset anti-virus costs and it's a winner. Plus the quality of output from the iWork suite of word-processor, etc makes Office look like crap (though you can also get office). If you're wanting photo editing, the Mac wins hands-down.

MacBook Air would be a fantastic purchase. I was sorely tempted the other day when I saw them at this price and I don't even need a laptop! I can vouch for Apple's refurbs too (27" iMac - gorgeous). If you know anybody vaguely in education, those prices are sometimes even better (not sure about refurbs though)
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • jamesco
    jamesco Posts: 687
    Editing pictures is helped when you've got a good and preferably calibrated screen. A laptop screen really isn't optimal - a decent external monitor is the way to go.

I'd take a look at the Dell outlet store where they sell refurbished (usually returns) and 'scratch-and-dent' machines. A refurbished E6220 with solid state drive (best upgrade these days), 3 year next-day business warranty and i5-2520M processor is £621.10 + delivery. From the home side, an XPS 14z with i7-2640M and 1 GB Nvidia GT 520M is about £660.
  • mrc1
    vermin wrote:
    Up to you, of course, but ... you want to use office, photos and the odd bit of video editing? You'd get away with something like a bog standard cheapo AMD Fusion chip and a couple of gigs of RAM and still have a machine that is more than adequate. Anything more goes into the 'nice-to-have' category. Honestly, buying an i5 or i7 laptop for word-processing really is sledgehammer/nut stuff.

So you could sacrifice some of the processing power in favour of searching out the best display you can find for your money, rather than concentrating on performance specs. After all, that's what you spend the whole time looking at, and the vast majority of laptop screens are just pants (dimly lit low res 1366x768 jobs with washed out colours and no contrast). I haven't looked for anything so specific, but Dell screens are usually pretty good and you might be able to custom-build a high-res screen into a lower-end build for that sort of money.

Fair advice but I've previously gone down the cheapo laptop route and have always been disappointed/frustrated by the woeful speeds and had them become chronically slow after a year or so. The Office stuff is fair enough but the photos/videos do have a hugely noticeable slowing effect on my current laptop (Samsung one - reasonable spec with a dual core processor). I perhaps wrongly assumed that buying a very well specced one now would help with longevity but please correct me if I'm wrong!

The main reason for looking at the one I posted was how cheap it was in comparison to HP, Sony etc etc.

On the Mac front, we are very tempted but we are a bit concerned with compatability issues (all our current docs are on Office programmes and we use Outlook etc). Im not that tech savvy so I've always assumed this would be an issue when moving to Mac given that I don't want to buy a Mac and then put Microsoft programmes on it! I had also been put off by the costs, but having seen the refurbs I'm quite tempted...

Le Domestique Tours - Bespoke cycling experiences with unrivalled supported riding, knowledge and expertise.

Ciocc Extro - FCN 1
  • meanredspider
    Office for Mac is fine. Outlook is no good for Mac but Safari is fine (it's just a browser)

ETA - if my wife can manage the conversion (and she literally can hardly turn her MacBook Pro on) I'm sure you'll be fine.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • vermin
    If you just want a powerful, future-resistant machine, this is the best all-rounder I've seen in a very long time, and it's bang on your budget:

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/pc-mac ... 378/review

It has the most powerful chip, a very powerful graphics card, a great screen and all the bells and whistles you could want. It even looks nice, if not in a Mac-nice way.

Worth a look
  • vermin
    If you just want a powerful, future-resistant machine, this is the best all-rounder I've seen in a very long time, and it's bang on your budget:

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/pc-mac ... 378/review

It has the most powerful chip, a very powerful graphics card, a great screen and all the bells and whistles you could want. It even looks nice, if not in a Mac-nice way.

Worth a look
  • iWork for the Mac will open all of your documents, if you really need complete compatibility the Office for Mac is OK. I have it on mine at home, because my work got me it for £8 - has Outlook and everything. The main reason for that over iWork is that the kids have to do Powerpoint presentations for school, and the ones they make on iWork look so good that they get disappointed when they convert them to Office and they look, well, ordinary. Better for the expectations to be lower from the start.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Why not get a desktop computer far more everything for less wonga. I'm a desktop man.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • if my wife can manage the conversion (and she literally can hardly turn her MacBook Pro on) I'm sure you'll be fine.

That's the real thing, before the Mac, Mrs. Elephant used to have to get me to get photos off the digital camera and upload them places. Now she plugs the camera in, iPhoto starts automagically and downloads, organizes them and allows her to edit/post to facebook etc without any hassle. So much easier to use it's unbelievable.
  • vermin
    if my wife can manage the conversion (and she literally can hardly turn her MacBook Pro on) I'm sure you'll be fine.

That's the real thing, before the Mac, Mrs. Elephant used to have to get me to get photos off the digital camera and upload them places. Now she plugs the camera in, iPhoto starts automagically and downloads, organizes them and allows her to edit/post to facebook etc without any hassle. So much easier to use it's unbelievable.

WOMEN - know your place.
  • mrc1
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Why not get a desktop computer far more everything for less wonga. I'm a desktop man.

I'd definitely get a desktop if I could. Unfortunately we need a laptop as we need to able to regularly move it from home to France and back and use it at hotels etc with Le Domestique Tours. I had considered an Imac as it is one box but id be too worried about damaging the screen when moving it!

Ciocc Extro - FCN 1
  • mrc1
    iWork for the Mac will open all of your documents, if you really need complete compatibility the Office for Mac is OK. I have it on mine at home, because my work got me it for £8 - has Outlook and everything. The main reason for that over iWork is that the kids have to do Powerpoint presentations for school, and the ones they make on iWork look so good that they get disappointed when they convert them to Office and they look, well, ordinary. Better for the expectations to be lower from the start.

I'm happy to use Mac software going forward its just that all our existing docs (all our accounting info which is quite formula heavy) is on Excel. If we could easily convert the excel docs to Mac software without having to buy Office for Mac then we'd be happy to use the Mac stuff from then on. Is that possible?

Ciocc Extro - FCN 1
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    mrc1 wrote:
    iWork for the Mac will open all of your documents, if you really need complete compatibility the Office for Mac is OK. I have it on mine at home, because my work got me it for £8 - has Outlook and everything. The main reason for that over iWork is that the kids have to do Powerpoint presentations for school, and the ones they make on iWork look so good that they get disappointed when they convert them to Office and they look, well, ordinary. Better for the expectations to be lower from the start.

I'm happy to use Mac software going forward its just that all our existing docs (all our accounting info which is quite formula heavy) is on Excel. If we could easily convert the excel docs to Mac software without having to buy Office for Mac then we'd be happy to use the Mac stuff from then on. Is that possible?

sure http://www.openoffice.org/ will do that, but i'd test it first as if it doesn't well other options are mac office £££ or numbers from apple not sure how well numbers would cope though.
  • mrc1
    mrc1 wrote:

sure http://www.openoffice.org/ will do that, but i'd test it first as if it doesn't well other options are mac office £££ or numbers from apple not sure how well numbers would cope though.

I'll take a look at that - cheers

Ciocc Extro - FCN 1
  • meanredspider
    Yup - most spreadsheet packages are compatible with Excel for obvious reasons.

From a business point of view, a MacBook Air would certainly project a good image. Battery life is excellent as is portability. I wish I needed one. I use an iPad for just about everything, reverting to the iMac for heavy duty stuff like HD video editing
  • mrc1
    From a business point of view, a MacBook Air would certainly project a good image. Battery life is excellent as is portability. I wish I needed one.

Annoyingly true - I wish Apple's weren't so "cool". Certainly a better image than a horrible black steam powered Asus!

Ciocc Extro - FCN 1
  • vermin
    mrc1 wrote:
    From a business point of view, a MacBook Air would certainly project a good image. Battery life is excellent as is portability. I wish I needed one.

Annoyingly true - I wish Apple's weren't so "cool". Certainly a better image than a horrible black steam powered Asus!

Lol. For what it's worth, I agree.
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    mrc1 wrote:

meh I was using them long before they became cool!
  • mrc1
    mrc1 wrote:

meh I was using them long before they became cool!

Which makes you super cool 8) .... or Forest Gump....

Ciocc Extro - FCN 1