Flipping Ebay!

miss notax
miss notax Posts: 2,572
edited March 2012 in MTB general
Am feeling very grumpy. Won an Ebay auction for an as new Chris King headset, nice pic of a complete headset etc, for the Santa Cruz build. It arrived yesterday but with a Hope top cap. Now I know it's only a minor detail but this has really annoyed me - it didn't mention this and the picture was clearly of a complete headset.

I have asked the seller to contact me and am thinking of asking for a refund as it's not as described - am I being pedantic or justified do you think??! My point is that I wouldn't have bid on an incomplete headset - I wanted a complete one :evil:

So valid point? Or I am I turning into a miserable cow? :evil: :lol:
Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc

Comments

• As a woman, you are entitled to moan... ;0) ... (I'm joking)

I'd contact the seller, ask him to supply as advertised and if he doesn't, I'd open a dispute with eBay, they side with the buyer 99 times out of a hundred so you'll get your money back...

If you do return the headset, make sure you send it recorded / signed for...

Good luck ;0)
  • You bought it based on the picture and description - and that isn't what was delivered.
    It is only really an annoyance as it won't affect the performance of the headset. However I would be in the same mood as you and I would ask politely for that to be addressed.
    (It is a premium brand and you want to show it off. You wouldn't buy a Yeti and cover it in Carrera decals - you want to show off a bit.)
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • miss notax
    Thanks guys :D

Yes, that's the annoying bit, I know it's not going to affect the bike (and if was already fitted I would be perfectly happy with it) but it's just not what I thought I had won!! Am going to be difficult I think - he can either send me a new top cap or i'll like a refund 8)
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

• 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    Your right, its not what was in the picture so ask for a partial refund or the correct topcap sending, its really annoying when sellers think a picture or describing it as new when its clearly not and they think your dumb enough not to notice.

End of rant..
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    or send it back and be happy you dont have it.

CK headsets do not like long travel forks. they have been known to wear steerer tubes.

the new versions which don not use the O ring seem to have not got this issue. (well I have not heard of anyone reporting it).

My thoughts on CK headsets. over hyped.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    So nothing to do with EBay, but actually just a seller.
    Typical lady reaction, misdirected anger.
    Of course you can go to the.pub with your friends, IT'S FINE.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • miss notax
    nicklouse wrote:

CK headsets do not like long travel forks. they have been known to wear steerer tubes.

the new versions which don not use the O ring seem to have not got this issue. (well I have not heard of anyone reporting it).

Fair enough!

I have happily used the before and I like them. The joy of a custom built bike - I can put whatever I like on it :lol::lol:

And cooldad :lol::lol::lol:

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    You got lucky! Can get a refund and buy a decent headset now!
  • nicklouse wrote:

Always had Chris Kings, always had long travel forks, never had a problem... Love Chris King ;0)
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    edited March 2012
    It's not a Hope Head Doctor on top by any chance? Some fit these to replace the stock (star type) top cap.

But otherwise, yeah it's a niggle but really not worth fussing over.

Bike which I got ex-demo came with a Hope headset but the top cap is Cane Creek. Don't care really. Just whatever they popped on at the time I assume. I've got several spare top caps I could fit if I could be bothered.
  • miss notax
    deadkenny wrote:
    It's not a Hope Head Doctor on top by any chance? Some fit these to replace the stock (star type) top cap.

Oooh, don't know actually.... Will check tonight! :D

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    miss notax wrote:
    deadkenny wrote:

another pointless bit of kit.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    miss notax wrote:
    deadkenny wrote:

It will only be the top part as the bottom halve will still be in the fork, unless your really unlucky and the seller has included it (wonder why!)
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • jehosophat
    jehosophat Posts: 108
    If the item you were sent doesn't match the one in the picture, then yes you are well within your rights to demand a refund as it is not as described. You never know, they may mysteriously find it.

As to whether it is worth doing - depends on the price really! if it was the bargain of the century then it may be worth putting up with, if not then ask for the top cap and send it back if not forthcoming...
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    nicklouse wrote:

+1. Old school and over hyped. Gimme a cane creek headset any day. Might not look as cool, but infinitely better built.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • nicklouse wrote:
    miss notax wrote:
    deadkenny wrote:

another pointless bit of kit.
    FTFY.
  • Tis' the trouble with 2nd hand, trusting other human's tis' tricky business!
  • miss notax
    Well, it seems we have reached an agreement and he is going to post me a new matching CK top cap. Happy days :D

Thanks for all your advice / thoughts!!

• miss notax wrote:
    Well, it seems we have reached an agreement and he is going to post me a new matching CK top cap. Happy days :D

Thanks for all your advice / thoughts!!

Whoop whoop whoop....
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    So now we can expect a hope topcap on ebay for the 'yoof' to put on their Apollo's!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • miss notax
    Absolutely :lol::lol::lol:

Although being a nice girl I did offer to send it back (once I get the CK one!)!