New Merlin Malt 3

draig
draig Posts: 13
edited March 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi,
I'm new to mtb but have an old GT, with upgraded new deore groupset, recon silver fork, mavic rims on deore hubs and quad dime xc brakes. I'd like to upgrade the frame and have seen the Merlin Malt 3 on offer for £169. I can't find much info online but Merlin seem to have a pretty good rep. The Malt 4 gets decent reviews, are they similar? Has anyone got one or know anything about them? Any info would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• welsh_14
    welsh_14 Posts: 259
    As far as I'm aware all the Merlin frames are the same geometry etc. The only difference I can see between them is the type of tubing used and therefore the higher Malts eg. Malt 4 will be lighter than the others. I think that has a Kinesium frame and the others have different types of alu depending on which one you go for.
    I ride a Malt 2 which I absolutley love, it weighs in at roughly 26-27lb for my full build. I ride it mainly on natural terrain in the cheviots and some trail centres and have found it to be great. The back end can sometimes feel quite stiff due to the brace they have between the chainstay and seatstay. But I still ride mine on all day rides with no problems.
    Only thing you may want to watch for is that all the kit you are going to transfer will fit on the new frame.
    For the money its a great frame to go for! But as most people will tell you it all depends on your riding style/what you need it for.
  • mak3m
    mak3m Posts: 1,394
    let me know if you find anything

keep going back to the malts as a new ht purchase looking at the 4 or the 3 cant find hardly anything at all on the 3

They are similar but the malt 3 frame keeps turning my head :D
  • welsh_14
    As I said I dont think their is any real difference apart from the weight and type of alloy used. The geometry of all the frames is the same :D
    So I would think the reviews would ring true for the lower end Malts as well. Depends how much weight is an issue for you or whether you are more interested in the geometry of the frame.
    I've the Malt 2 in Satin blue with yellow decals, in my opinion looks the dogs nuts! But then I am a fan of a simple HT design!
  • draig
    Thanks for the replies and info on geometry, I'm after something that can do most things well, the reviews suggest they can! :D I'm pretty sure I'll only need a new seat post and seat clamp, headtube's shorter on the malt, so my fork should fit. My riding is mostly natural trials in North Wales.
    I've been looking at the Malt 3 and 4 frame for a while now after seeing the 4 review well, sale price of the 3 made my mind up :wink:
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    What frame are you changing from?
  • welsh_14
    They are stupidly cheap for what you get. Design is probably classed as pretty old as it hasnt been updated in a long time! But if it aint broke dont fix it! Its nothing fancy but it does the job with no fuss!
  • draig
    An old Halfords GT Aggressor, 2007 I think.
  • supersonic
    The frames are somewhat different in intended use - the GT was designed to be tougher and accept a longer travel fork. The MALT is lighter, but you will lose some of what the GT was designed for.

Also have to check compatibility of parts.
  • draig
    edited March 2012
    When I got the GT it had RST capa 7 I think, this only had 80mm of travel, maybe the frame is older than I think. What parts might not be compatible? I was only really worried about the fork, I don't really want to spend a fortune changing parts. Edit: Sorry it's not a 2007 It's around 1997 that was a typo! I looked on google images when I got it and it matched the polished alu with red and black graphics of about 1997.
  • supersonic
    Ah, this must be the 'GT' Aggressor rather than the Halfords GT Aggressor (two different models!) in which case you have a more basic frame. Indeed this is worth swapping!

Parts: headset, seatpost, seat clamp, front derailer, cable lengths are just a few things to check.
  • draig
    It's got distributed by Halfords written on the frame, but I'm pretty sure it's around 1997. I bought it for next to nothing years ago and have upgraded it slowly. I'll need seat post and clamp, possibly front deraullier! Don't mind new cables, was more concerned about wheels, fork, brakes basically what I've upgraded. Thanks for reply, I'm pretty sure it's not a great frame, it's an Aggressor 3, the cheapest one I think?
    http://img100.imageshack.us/img100/4936 ... 0017lv.jpg
    This one but in polished alu.
  • supersonic
    It's pretty basic. Does the job, but are lighter and smoother frames about.

I'd email Merlin for frame specs. Also remember brake mounts, do you run V brakes?
  • draig
    No running disks, so no need for mounts, I could't find anything to compare for £169 - sale price from £299
  • draig
    Thanks, I should have mentioned I need the 17inch frame, unfortunately they've only got 15 and 19inch. Do you know of any other manufacturers/retailers offering similar at £200 or less?
  • supersonic
    This is why you need to look at the geometry from Merlin - the 19 could be smaller than your GT! Top tube length is very important.

There are not many frames about at all at this price, and I doubt any better.
  • ebay may be your best bet, maybe get a rockhopper frame as i think they are very good and pretty light. good "feel" too
    London2Brighton Challange 100k!
    http://www.justgiving.com/broxbourne-runners
  • draig
    Thanks, the sizing's pretty confusing! I'll email Merlin and see what they recommend!
    Out of interest - my GT Aggressor 3 is exactly the same as the one in the above link (disc ready) but polished alu, and is an Aggressor 3 it's supplied by Halfords. This one's a 2007 which would suggest mine is as well. I bought it for £40 years ago and feels pretty good with the upgrades (see first post), admittedly I haven't got any thing to compare it to. I've changed everything on it apart from the frame, stem and handlebars and thought a new frame would be the next thing. After seeing the Malt 4 review I was going to get one next year, but with the 3 on sale thought I'd get that now. I thought I'd be improving the bike massively, what do you think of the GT frame and in your opinion would the Malt 3 be a decent step up? Thanks for your help.
  • supersonic
    To be honest a new fork will make more differene than a new frame ie a Reba. And new wheels.
  • draig
    Thanks for your help, I've got more to think about now!!!
  • supersonic
    You have to weigh everything up against a new bike - selling what you have and buying new.
  • draig
    Just looking at Merlins shop, my bike wouldn't be a million miles away from the basic Malt 3 priced at £799 with the new frame. My wheels will swap over as will the brakes, fork (malt headstock is shorter than the GT) crankset and shifters. All I'll have to buy is seat post and clamp and cables and possibly a new front derailleur (although I think mine will go on the Malt). Don't reckon I'll get much for a second hand bike, so a new bike's a much more expensive option.
  • supersonic
    Maybe not, and it is a good frame - but you only set to lose at most a pound in weight though. A better fork would make much more of a difference to weight and performance.

But depends on what you want to do in the long run.
  • draig
    Probably change frame and fork one this year one next, was gonna do frame first. Frame's looking old and tatty, but might look for a second hand reba then change the frame next year. Thanks for your advice.
  • draig
    Ordered my Malt 3 frame yesterday, arrived today. It's looks just like this Be One frame
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=66372
    (also got B1 stamped on it)with a Merlin sticker!
    Looks good can't wait to swap all the bit's over!