RS pikes 454 dual air travel

DodgeT
DodgeT Posts: 2,255
edited March 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Got a pair of these on a bike i've just bought. They have been TF tuned and are set at about 110mm.

Is it safe to assume if I strip them down, i'll be lucky enough to find a spacer I can whip out to give me the full 140mm travel?

I'm assuming they only came in 140mm travel version as I can't find anything to tell me otherwise?

They are not the U turn model.

Ta.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    maybe. unless they are a special OE version.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • DodgeT
    I know I had this issue with some recon solo airs, they hadn't got a spacer and were 100mm only, but you see them at all sorts of travel lengths - well 85, 100, 130 etc.

I've only ever seen pikes at 140, Apart from the ones on an earlier bike, which again had been tf tuned and spaced down to 120mm.

Guess i'll just have to cross my fingers and open em up.

Thanks anyway.
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    Why do you want them at 140mm for a new frame prehaps?
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • DodgeT
    Maybe ...
  • 1mancity2
    DodgeT wrote:
    Maybe ...

Flog them and get some Revs if so..
  • DodgeT
    Would like to, cash tho innit. And I was thinking, the pikes are maxle, whereas revs are QR.
    Whether it'll make a difference to me is another matter..
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    revs can be 20mm or 15mm or Qr as most RS forks can be.

just thinking RS have not made a 110mm travel fork.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • DodgeT
    Oh right, anything then basically.

Thats sounding more promising then.

Are revs a massive improvement over pikes, ie worth the probably £300 new price - unless of course I could find some decent "cheap" 2nd hand.
  • 1mancity2
    DodgeT wrote:
    Would like to, cash tho innit. And I was thinking, the pikes are maxle, whereas revs are QR.
    Whether it'll make a difference to me is another matter..

I had 9mm Q/R revs and you could feel them flex in the corners apart from that they were fantastic, you can pick them up on ebay or advertise a swap on here or pink :wink:

and the hubs you have are hope pro2 so a easy fix no matter what axle the fork has.
  • 1mancity2
    DodgeT wrote:
    Oh right, anything then basically.

Thats sounding more promising then.

Are revs a massive improvement over pikes, ie worth the probably £300 new price - unless of course I could find some decent "cheap" 2nd hand.

Totally different fork, Pike hard hitting abuse fork, Revs trail, loads of adjustment to get them feeling right, light and also can take a beating (fine for you)

http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/produ ... Forks_2009