Cardboard helmets!?

tv
tv Posts: 338
edited March 2012 in MTB buying advice
This guy is being interview on radio 4 now, what do you guys think of these new helmets made from cardboard?!

http://todayilearned.co.uk/2011/06/08/c ... gular-one/

Comments

• EH_Rob
    EH_Rob Posts: 1,134
    I see it has a plastic cover for rain, but what happens when you sweat into it?

Might be a good idea for commuter use though if it has passed safety tests.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    EH_Rob wrote:
    I see it has a plastic cover for rain, but what happens when you sweat into it?

Might be a good idea for commuter use though if it has passed safety tests.

http://www.anirudharao.com/index.php?/project/kranium/
    has also been impregnated with a compound to make the cardboard water-proof.

Why would it be good for commuters but not MTBers? :?
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • RevellRider
    RevellRider Posts: 1,794
    It certainly looks to be interesting enough, design wise. Custom fitted, high impact rating at the tested speed (a lowly 12mph), recyclable and cheap to make. Such a shame it looks as ugly as sin. Also how hot would it be, the design doesn't look like it lends it's self to ventilation. Probably not going to be great in getting the air flowing over your head that well.
  • EH_Rob
    From personal experience I am more likely to sweat or get covered in water/mud when I am out mountain biking compared to when I commute, that was all.

Waterproof chemical eh? Does that mean the plastic cases are purely aesthetic?
  • I'd rather have one of those new Fracture helmets from Giro, they make you look 'special' enough, let alone these sunshine bus sponsored jobbies.... Thanks, but no thanks.... ;0)
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    EH_Rob wrote:
    Waterproof chemical eh? Does that mean the plastic cases are purely aesthetic?

It'll do the same job as with a normal helmet- spread loads a little and keep the impact- dissipating section together, but also protect the inner shell from everyday knocks.

Still, this: "Consequently, modern helmets protect your head only in 16% of cases during a crash." is a blatantly made up statistic, there just aren't any reliable stats for this.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • RevellRider
    RevellRider Posts: 1,794
    Northwind wrote:
    Still, this: "Consequently, modern helmets protect your head only in 16% of cases during a crash." is a blatantly made up statistic, there just aren't any reliable stats for this.

Could it be that they're being creative in saying that you only hit your head in 16% of crashes? Just to hype up their product. I know I've not hit my head in a crash for a long time, it's been all knees, elbows and ribs
  • EH_Rob
    16% of the time, all the time.
  • dp1
    dp1 Posts: 89
    This thread gave me the idea of making a paper mache helmet which i have just finished. I am looking for testers before i market it. Any takers :lol:
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    dp1 wrote:
    This thread gave me the idea of making a paper mache helmet which i have just finished. I am looking for testers before i market it. Any takers :lol:

you can joke but doesn't the idea of making helmets out of polystyrene seem silly ;)
    Uncompromising extremist