OT: Laaandanaahs: Help a "Northern" "country bumpkin"...

bails87
bails87 Posts: 12,998
edited March 2012 in Commuting chat
...to find a japanese resaturant

I live north of Watford, therefore I'm from 'the North' and I don't live in London therefore I live on a farm and work down t'pit. But me and the missus are going to That London on Friday, to take a gander at these new horseless carriages and electric lamps I've heard so much about.

We'll be doing the tourist thing so are going to the Tate Modern. Near (Victoria?) Embankment, but I won't be bringing my bike, so can't join the peloton/scalpfest. Anyhoo, I'd like to take her to a Japanese restaurant after we're done pretending to 'get' modern art. I've found the Hare and Tortoise, which looks alright as a place to pop in and get some food after a day of traipsing around. There's also a Wagamama around the corner but that won't be any different to the Wagamamas here.

Anywhere else worth a try? What about somewhere easy to get a drink or two? The Morpeth isn't too far away....

Edit: I'm patiently waiting for the first person to suggest I take her up the Oxo.
MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."

Comments

• EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    edited March 2012
    Jump on a Boris bike to join the Embankment peloton!
    If you make it to The Morpeth let us know. I'm sure I'm not the only person who would try to make it.

No idea on a good restaurant. The best Japanese restaurant I've been to was in Amsterdam, and I can't remember the best London based one I've been to (too many sakis).

edit: You could just take her up the Oxo?
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Alrighty. There's a restaurant attached tp the might Japan Centre which is rather good: http://www.toku-restaurant.co.uk/

Pub wise, there's not a great deal of choice around the Tate Modern. Could be worth your while wandering along to Borough market and having a pint in the Market Porter.

The Morpeth is not a destination pub. Poor Youngs beer. Only frequented for it's proximity to the racetrack. The Cask in Victoria is an Ale lovers paradise though.

http://www.caskpubandkitchen.com/
  • BigJimmyB
    BigJimmyB Posts: 1,302
    For Tate Modern, tube to Monument and walk over London Bridge (or to Tower Hill and walk Tower Bridge). Turn right and keep going til you see it. The footbridge outside takes you to St Pauls. Turn left down the embankment - cross over to Embankment station and then walk up to the West End.

Enjoy

Sorry - no recs on eats - too many places (even Japanese ones) - go with what you found.
  • vermin
    vermin Posts: 1,739
    For pubbing, why not head 500m east to Borough - plenty to see and do there. I rather like The Wheatsheaf (and I'm a 'proper' northern country bumpkin!).
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    edited March 2012
    These two are near Oxford Circus, so quite central.
    Nagomi
    Chisou

Nagomi is quite small, and intimate, Chisou is a bit more spacious and brighter with booths. Both are about midrange price wise. You'd probably need to book Nagomi.

Further afield I really like Yoshi Sushi in Hammersmith (its more Korean really) and Asakusa near Mornington Crescent. I lived/worked local to these and they were both really tasty places to eat and reasonably priced (but probably not what you're looking for).
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,770
    Excellent, hope you enjoy your visit to civilisation. Don't do what a rather elderly colleague said to a customer visiting Tate Modern from the Norff; "It's lovely, but ignore all that old bollox in there and imagine it as a power station." I admit I don't 'get' a lot of modern art but that is just laughable.
    Agree with IP the Morpeth isn't worth a visit if you have your good lady with you. If you were on your tod we'd try and lead you astray. Lots to see around there, agree about Brough Market. Sorry can't advise on Japanese food.
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    Also try The Rake in Borough Market. Plenty of beers to break yourself on in there ...
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,632
    Ooooh try this place, been twice

http://www.koya.co.uk/

Quite cheap. Very noodley.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    Japanese = Edokko.
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    bails87 wrote:
    There's also a Wagamama around the corner but that won't be any different to the Wagamamas here.
    Don't lie - we don't have Wagamama's in The North, it's all hotpot and dripping and stuff!

Hope you have a nice day out in London. :)
  • esspeebee
    esspeebee Posts: 174
    There's also Bincho in Soho, which is very good Japanese, but not sushi or noodles. Worth a try if you fancy something slightly different, and definitely if you enjoy things on sticks.
  • msmancunia
    msmancunia Posts: 1,415
    I used to work around the corner from the Hare and Tortoise in Bloomsbury until I moved back up North. Never eaten there as I don't like Japanese food (fussy eater) but there were always huge queues of Japanese people outside at lunchtime, so that's probably an indicator that it's decent. Just be careful - there's a Hobbs, LK Bennett and French Connection the other side of the piazza, so you might want to watch your flexible friend.
    Commute: Chadderton - Sportcity
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    OK a few comments... Been to a few Japanese places and the other half is Japanese!

Edokko - Absolutely. Very authentic Japanese, feels like you're in Japan. Not just sushi. Quite expensive though. Near Holborn

Wagamama - This is not Japanese! Although the name "Wagamama" means "spoiled", it's how you would describe a spoiled child...

Koya - The place in Soho? Again very tasty and authentic Japanese noodles... Definitely if you're just looking for a snack or quick meal

This place is also supposed to be good but I've never been....
    http://www.tomoe-london.co.uk/

THe best sushi place in London was Sushi Hiro out in Ealing but it has closed down.... :cry:
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • vermin
    vermin Posts: 1,739
    Someone sticky this thread. I shall mostly be spending the next month taking part in the Tour de Japdon.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Thanks team, we had a good day. Went to Tsuru and I had the tasty teriyaki salmon, Mrs B loved the sushi, so a success all round.

I'm back in London for work in a 5 or 6 weeks, so I might have to arrange some Morpeth/Boris Bike scalp action then...
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    bails87 wrote:
    Thanks team, we had a good day. Went to Tsuru and I had the tasty teriyaki salmon, Mrs B loved the sushi, so a success all round.

I'm back in London for work in a 5 or 6 weeks, so I might have to arrange some Morpeth/Boris Bike scalp action then...

thumbsUp.jpg
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,770
    bails87 wrote:

thumbsUp.jpg
    Blimey Rick. The pressure of being a mod has aged you.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    All i read was some northern bloke is coming to London to buy us all beer at the Morpeth.

WIN
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.