Silly question Presta vs Schraeder

sketchley
sketchley Posts: 4,238
edited March 2012 in Commuting chat
Wife's bike has Schraeder values on the inner tubes. This morning I broke the valve stem using my track pump which works fine with Presta valves. Any reason why I cannot put presta value tubes on the bike? I'm trying to think of one but can't.
--
Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    nope. other than it is a good idea to use a reducer to hold the stem in place.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    I've done it in the past. I suppose the Presta valve is a bit less robust (especially when mounted in a bigger hole) but it worked fine for me.
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    electrical tape over the top when its in to hold it in place
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    The Continental Cross 28 (25-35c) tubes I had problems with come with an adaptor-style stem collar/nut specifically designed to allow Presta valves to fit into Schrader rims.

If you have already got tubes, PM me your address and I can send you a handful of those adaptors.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    The Continental Cross 28 (25-35c) tubes I had problems with come with an adaptor-style stem collar/nut specifically designed to allow Presta valves to fit into Schrader rims.

If you have already got tubes, PM me your address and I can send you a handful of those adaptors.
    Ah, so that's why they have that funny taper on them!
    Pannier, 120rpm.