Anyone watch Horizon last night?

rick_chasey
rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
edited March 2012 in Commuting chat
Reasonably interesting study at what role our unconscious part of the brain does.

The premise was that it turns out it does the vast majority of what we do, including decision making.

Seemed particularly relevant to us cyclists.

Basically the unconscious mind takes up anything that doesn't require 100% concentration. So for example, it's dictating where my hands and fingers go to type while I think about what to write in this little bit. I don't consciously place every finger on every key.

Similarly, the unconscious mind makes decisions regarding how we approach certain tasks (like, for example, catching a model helicopter flying around a room), that is totally different to the way we 'think' we are approaching the task.

The learning process of a technique or skill is basically wiring it into the unconscious bit, so we can busy ourselves with more interesting stuff - like arguing with that moped who cut you up while you knock out 20kph on your bike and automatically avoid potholes.

Comments

• jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Yes, interesting stuff.

The sports scientists blog has done a few articles on choking, which is very similar: conscious part of the brain taking over the subconscious and inducing behaviour more akin to a learner rather than a champion.

http://www.sportsscientists.com/search?q=choking

The main one from that search is about rugby but there's one somewhere about tennis.

Here's another goodie about practice:
    http://www.sportsscientists.com/search?q=10000+hours

They also do good analysis of cycling after/during some of the major events
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    My current mindset (posting about Chinese censorship and American detention in Guantanamo) made me automatically think of waterboarding when I saw choking in JG's post. I had to click the link to realise that they were talking about bottling it in a sporting context.

Gotta do some proper work!
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • y33stu
    y33stu Posts: 376
    Saw most of it, before falling asleep, (my subconscious must have been tired) and thought it was really interesting. Just shows how much of life we really see or take part in. Made me think of this - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJG698U2Mvo - Count the basketball passes.
    Cycling prints
    Band of Climbers
  • jonginge
    y33stu wrote:
    Saw most of it, before falling asleep, (my subconscious must have been tired) and thought it was really interesting. Just shows how much of life we really see or take part in. Made me think of this - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJG698U2Mvo - Count the basketball passes.
    I was waiting for them to discuss that and how much driving (and cycling and other tasks) is done on auto-pilot
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Yeah.

The vision bit (they had a guy who, due to brain damage, was totally blind to anything he saw on the right), was interesting.

Blind guy can't actually see stuff moving, but can 'sense' stuff moving.

I swear that's what some people on here call 'spidey senses'.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Thanks for the heads up. This is exactly the sort of stuff that my new employer deals in - primarily from a marketing perspective. I'll have a watch. It's terrifying once you realise hope many decisions you make sub-conciously, many of which you then post-rationalise. What's even worse is that many retailers etc are taking advantage of this knowledge to manipulate you in the "purchase" environment. Some of it is ethically questionable...

I saw a great film the other day about a woman who (thanks to a stroke) has lost the ability to make subconscious decisions. Her life is miserable, even things like trips to Tesco have to be planned in advance, then if she sees any special offers etc she has to sit down and work out all the pros and cons before she dares make a purchase. The rest of us are basically lazy - or as my boss says, we're all cognitive misers.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    A good programme. It is scary how much we can achieve on autopilot. I've driven to the wrong destination and not really remembered driving there, just because that is where I normally go on that day.

Driving/cycling drunk is pure autopilot. Good thing my autopilot is teetotal!
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    JonGinge wrote:
    Yes, interesting stuff.

The sports scientists blog has done a few articles on choking, which is very similar: conscious part of the brain taking over the subconscious and inducing behaviour more akin to a learner rather than a champion.

http://www.sportsscientists.com/search?q=choking

The main one from that search is about rugby but there's one somewhere about tennis.

Here's another goodie about practice:
    http://www.sportsscientists.com/search?q=10000+hours

They also do good analysis of cycling after/during some of the major events

Bounce by Matthew Syed is very readable (if somewhat repetitive) on this subject.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • jonginge
    That's what triggered the search term above. There was discussion about whether the 10000hrs was generally applicable or a load of old chuff.
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    I'm sure there's loads going on in our heads beyond the conscious.

I know I get a nagging feeling that I always listen to that I've forgotten something as I leave the house (no - not my trousers). It's always right - just wish I had a technique for accessing what it is I've forgotten as it can be something really obscure
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    I've noticed this when playing Fifa/PES on the PS3. Or even worse (because I'm not used to it) the Xbox.

When I haven't played it for ages it takes a load of effort just to remember what button does what. So I end up being rubbish at it.

Then I play a bit more and the button presses come naturally, so now I think about moving player X to position Y, and am able to quickly react with a button press when something happens. I think "pass" and instinctively press X, rather than thinking "I need to pass so....err...oh yeah, press X"

Then I play even more and I don't have to think about where the individual players are. I end up with a more 'strategic' view and subconciously position players/shoot/pass/tackle where they'll have the most impact.

I'm still not very good at it, but at least it's easier! :lol:
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Isn't there some martial arts expression called "doing not-doing"? I think it's kind of linked to all of this (someone who actually knows something about this will come along soon and correct me)
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • jonginge
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • Twostage
    Twostage Posts: 987
    On a related subject I read an article in scientific American a couple of years ago about how your eyes and brain interact. The gist was that your eyes notice things before your consciousness does and they steer you towards them. They are literally saying "look at this". On my commute I go past an advertising hoarding promoting an adult fun shop. It's only in the last couple of weeks where I haven't been through the eyes right, oh look it's a scantily clad girl that I've seen nearly every day, there's no need to look next time routine. I'm now conscious of the fact that I've passed it without looking.
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    Isn't there some martial arts expression called "doing not-doing"? I think it's kind of linked to all of this (someone who actually knows something about this will come along soon and correct me)

Don't know about that expression, but Bruce Lee said* something along the lines of 'Before you study martial arts, a punch is just a punch. When you learn martial arts, a punch is more than a punch. After you master the art, a punch is just a punch'

*or most likely plagiarised from somewhere else, cos he did that a lot