ToPeak MTX gear on a road bike?

smashed
smashed Posts: 100
edited March 2012 in Commuting general
Hi, Just bought my first road bike for a 10 mile commute and am looking to carry my gear on the bike (backpack = sweaty back).

Research so far:
Seatpost rack: My seat post is quite low on my bike so I don’t think it will fit.
Handlebar bag: Cheaper than a system but will surely create hefty drag. At least it would be easily removable.
Pannier system: Looks a bit rubbish and will be semi-permanent. However as I commute for 90% of my riding time then I guess it is no big deal.
I have therefore chosen the ToPeak system as it is easy to remove the bag from the bike etc.

Can I put the MTX system (looking at the biggest bag) go on a road bike? I have a Decathlon Triban 3 which does have 2 lots of eyelets.
Or is this just going to look too heavy duty / stupid on a road bike?

I figured that I would rather buy once and have a bag big enough for all occasions rather than having to buy twice

Comments

• jamin100
    jamin100 Posts: 72
    Although these are on a CX bike they may give you an idea on size.
    This is the topeak Supertourist Disc Rack and MTX DXP Bag

photo11.jpg

photo2.jpg

20242a8a-1.jpg
  • smashed
    smashed Posts: 100
    THanks for the pics (appreciated)- I had been trawling the net.
    Hopefully a low sadlle will not stop the bag clipping in.

I looked at the RX version but they just look too small.
    The bag looks the right size when the panniers are zipped away and pretty huge when they are down (ideal when I have an unexpected load to take).
    The heavy duty rack is definitely a bit ugly and may not suit the style of my bike - but I guess it is function over form as it is for commuting.

I think I will just take the plunge as my bike does have the eyelets to hook up to.
  • jamin100
    jamin100 Posts: 72
    Yeh there are 2 versions of the rack. One for disc brakes and one for rim brakes.
    The only reason I have the disc brake version is because I used it on my old hybrid. I could of got away with the normal version on the CX which would of been a bit narrower.

Im pretty pleased with the bag and can get everything I need into it on a daily basis.