Rides near Tavistock (Devon)

bobtbuilder
bobtbuilder Posts: 1,537
Hi All,

I will be going to Devon for a week at the end of March with my girlfriend and can go out riding on three of the days.

We are staying near Tavistock and I'm hoping you fine folk can help me sort out some routes before we go.

I'm looking for nice quiet roads, good scenery (lots of trees rather than bleak open moorland), good climbs, etc.

Unfortunately due to shoulder surgery and having my tonsils removed recently my stamina is shot to Hell. I can probably only ride 55-65 miles ATM.

However, as we have use of a car, my GF can drop me 25-30 miles from our base to ride.

So, with all that in mind, please give me some suggestions!

Comments

• islwyn
    islwyn Posts: 650
    Drop these guys an email. http://www.tavywheelers.co.uk/
  • bobtbuilder
    Thanks! I've just sent them an email.
  • You like hills? :twisted:
    Point your bike up Pork Hill from Tavistock, get onto Dartmoor and then try and find a direction that gives you a tailwind! ;) The desolation of the moorland depends entirely on the weather (and prevailing wind!), on a good day, it's stunning. If you can get dropped off there, then get a lift over to Moretonhampstead and ride back. It's lumpy, but a lovely ride. Alternatively, get dropped off in Bovey Tracey and do one or more of the climbs around there (Haytor, Hound Tor via Manaton, Widdecombe) before heading back towards Tavistock.
    Twitter: @FunkyMrMagic
  • bobtbuilder
    Thanks CLB - that's exactly the sort of info I was after.
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    Thats a tough ride! and no intro either, you could head over to Moreton and then Okehampton and return via route 27 sustrans - about 50ish in total - roads can be busy depends what your used too ?
    If your after something a little easier (and imho far better) then head north towards Brentor/Chillaton and Roadford reservior - anti clockwise loop of that via Upcott cross and then back tavy via Bratton clovely /lewtrenchard/Coryton/lydford Gorge/Brentor - Tavistock, look it up on a map and you ll figure it out :)
    These are amazing roads and lanes and very little traffic at all.
    Cafe's at Lydford and Roadford.
    the Church at Brentor is amazing and the views stunning and its not flat around there either.
  • bobtbuilder
    Thanks Mamba - that route sounds great. I don't have a problem with traffic, but it's nice to avoid it if possible.

Definitely looking for hilly routes! I will stick that one in my Garmin later.
  • You're coming to Devon. The challenge is to find routes that *aren't* hilly! Tavistock to Princetown is listed as a Cat2 climb on Strava. It's not deadly steep (average is about 4%, from memory), but it's 6 miles long and there are sections where it gets up to about 10%. It lends itself to long, well-paced climbing. Likewise, Bovey Tracey to Hound Tor - not particularly steep, but nearly 9 miles of climbing. There are plenty of short, sharp climbs all over the place too!
    Twitter: @FunkyMrMagic
  • bobtbuilder
    You're coming to Devon. The challenge is to find routes that *aren't* hilly! Tavistock to Princetown is listed as a Cat2 climb on Strava. It's not deadly steep (average is about 4%, from memory), but it's 6 miles long and there are sections where it gets up to about 10%. It lends itself to long, well-paced climbing. Likewise, Bovey Tracey to Hound Tor - not particularly steep, but nearly 9 miles of climbing. There are plenty of short, sharp climbs all over the place too!

That's awesome news. I will definitely be checking out those two climbs!
    :D
  • lemon63
    lemon63 Posts: 253
    Hi, does anyone know what the ride is like from Calstock to Tavistock ? I'm in Calstock for a weekend soon and was wondering about joining Tavistock club run on the Sun am (if there ok with having me join them).
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    My Mum lives there!
    If your in the village center, a 1.5 mile hill to albaston 8%, (then take A386 to Tavi) followed by 1mile drop 12% into Gunnislake, 2mile climb 6% to Gulworthy, 1.5 mile descent , back up into Tavi another 1 mile, short descent into the town, allow 40mins.
    On return, take 1st left by traffic lights in Gunnislake and follow lane to Calstock Church - there you can climb windy hill, a 25% climb out of the valley before descending a steep back lane into Calstock- dont hit the Pub at the bottom.
    there are numerous back lanes to Tavi but you ll get lost :)
  • bobtbuilder
    Thanks to everyone who helped me out with suggestions :)

I had a great stay in Devon and 2 great rides. The 3rd ride (over the moor) sucked! Waaay to bleak & depressing for me.