Revolution Streetfinder, Carrera Subway, GT Traffic

gecko18000
gecko18000 Posts: 2
edited April 2012 in Commuting general
Hi all,

I'm currently looking for a bike for mainly urban/commuting type use, but also some riding on bridleways and such, nothing major.

I was originally planning on buying a secondhand Carrera Subway, as from what I've read they're pretty good for the money, although finding one with a 22" frame second hand is proving difficult.

I'm also considering a GT Traffic, if I can find one second hand, or maybe this one new if I can get the money together http://www.wiggle.co.uk/gt-traffic-20-2011/

Finally, I've been looking at the Revolution Streetfinder from Edinburgh Bike Coop, just wondering if someone more knowledgeable than me, or someone who owns one, could let me know their thoughts on it? http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/product ... brid-bikes

Thanks for any help.

john

Comments

• ryman79
    ryman79 Posts: 1
    Hello,
    I've had Revolution Streetfinder for just over a year and a half. I picked it for commuting to work and thought that it looked practical with the pannier rack, mud guards and plenty of gears. I had also read the reviews and thought it seemed like a good bike.

I got the bike home, that evening I kept it in the hallway, the next morning the wheel was flat, it had a puncture! I got a new inner tube and the day I went to fix it the other one had gone flat. Again a puncture. Couldn't believe it.It had only been out on the ride home from the shop!!!

Anyway it rides ok, my commute is 16 miles return, I had a free check up after a few months and all was fine. Few months later the gears started to make a noise and the chain snapped straight off.
    I use the cycle paths and was getting constant punctures. I've had three spokes go on the back wheel, again this was within the first year. As an adult this was my first bike so I never really knew if this was the norm or not.
    I got it serviced by another company, got the chain replaced and get the gears checked regularly, or otherwise they start to grind. I change the chain regularly as one time it damaged the back gears due to wear, though this is probably a maintenance issue rather than quality. Though I think some of the components are cheap.

I changed the handle bar grips, and put in a seatpost with suspension, I also changed the tyres to puncture proof which all helped. The thing is I grudged spending the extra cash. Overall in services, parts, labour and pimping it up I have spent over £150 since I got it.

In conclusion I wished I had shelled out some more initial cash and bought a better bike. I'm currently about to change it for a new one but I will be staying away from Revolution, it has really put me off the brand. Overall maybe it's just one bad experience but I would avoid it!!
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    There is very little in these bikes - 3 of the best avilable under £300. Sure they use some budget parts, but compared to some of the absolutely junk out there they are a world apart.

Just keep clean, oiled and maintained, regularly checking parts and bolts.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Actually, looking at the Street Finder it is a heap of crap, I was thinking of the Revolution!

http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/product ... er-race-12

This has gone up in price a bit lately.
  • shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    ryman79 wrote:
    lots

You do seem to have been unlucky. My experience with Revolution bikes has been far more positive. the componentry is usually closer to the top end for their price point and in general the staff are more bike aware than an average Halfords

Interestingly I had a spoke go within 500 miles on new on a Cross 10 and had to be quite prescriptive that I wanted the whole wheel re-truing and the tension balancing out when I went in to get it fixed, the attitude I was getting was, I'll just stick another one in there, back in 5 minutes. Never had a problem after that.
    You need to remember that badly replaced spokes are like falling dominoes, 3 going is more likely a fault of the initial set up and 1st repair than a physial defect of the bike.

I rate the bikes more than the servce dept.