What's spectating at a downhill event like?

guy72277
guy72277 Posts: 74
edited March 2012 in MTB general
I'm tempted to go and spectate at a world cup downhill event this year. Is it pretty amazing as I'm hoping it would be or is it actually a bit disappointing/boring? I'm used to watching full length world cup runs on youtube, but is just seeing someone fly by on a small section of the track worth it?

Also, if I do go to one this year, which of the European events would be the best to watch? Fort William, Italy, France or Austria.

Comments

• bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    not worth it imo unless youre planning a riding holiday at the area whilst it is on, otherwise you're travelling all that way to see 2 seconds worth of 80 riders on one section
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Anywhere you go will be infinitely better than spectating the 2012 Olympics so called MTB, even if you just get to see a small section.
  • bennett_346
    deadkenny wrote:
    Anywhere you go will be infinitely better than spectating the 2012 Olympics so called MTB, even if you just get to see a small section.
    You mean the Tour de Cycle Path?

Avoid like the plague
  • Rushmore
    Rushmore Posts: 674
    it's like spectating on the flat but slightly more slanted...
    Always remember.... Wherever you go, there you are.

Ghost AMR 7500 2012
    De Rosa R838
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    not worth it imo unless youre planning a riding holiday at the area whilst it is on, otherwise you're travelling all that way to see 2 seconds worth of 80 riders on one section

Well, not so much, because you have legs :wink: At the Fort the normal approach is to get the gondola up then walk down the track, so you'll see a bit of everything and end up at the finish line.

Not that I'm saying it'll be great- I was supposed to be there last year but in the end couldn't be bothered- went riding at Golspie that day then detoured down to the Fort for a go myself on the way home. Sooner ride my bike than watch someone else ride theirs! Especially when they've got the bad taste to be so much better than I am.

But if you want to watch racing, then a world cup is a good time to do it and fw is well known for its great crowd and atmosphere. And midges the size of eagles.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Ive been to a couple at fort bill and had a good time. As long as you're into your downhill, know the faces/riders etc then its a good time. Lots of people out in the town in the evening. Fort Bill has the reputation as being the best event on the World cup circuit, so I would start at home if I were you.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    Been working in Cape town for the last 2 weeks. Thought I might be able to get over to Durban this w/e but looks like I'm flying back tomorrow. Also away for the Val d'Isere race, so no World Cup for me this year :(
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • guy72277
    Thanks for the replies. I think I’ll give FW a go, but maybe just the Sunday. Like the idea of gondola up and walking down. I’d really like to see the speed these guys go on the tricky sections. Would be going with mates, so good to know the event and FW itself has a great atmosphere. Would also probably be flying into the UK with Ryanair, so bringing the bike to make it into a biking weekend might be tricky.

Another couple of questions :
    Do they announce riders and finish times along the track so you know who’s blasting past/in the lead, or do you just have to hope you recognise the helmet/clothes/bike?

Is there a sort of bike show at the bottom, with manufacturer exhibition stands, stalls selling mtb equiptment, beer tent etc
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    If you're into photography it can make it pretty interesting too, though guess you wouldn't be allowed a bunch of flashes going off in their faces :D
  • bennett_346
    deadkenny wrote:
    If you're into photography it can make it pretty interesting too, though guess you wouldn't be allowed a bunch of flashes going off in their faces :D
    Yes flash isn't allowed as far as i know!
  • hucking_fell
    hucking_fell Posts: 1,056
    I've been a load of times but have come away thinking I'd rather have been riding it, not watching it. My 2 boys enjoyed their 1st year there last year with me though. If you intend to buy or blag stuff then get there early on the Saturday.
    More freerange chicken than Freeride God
    Bighit , 5 , BFe
  • bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    Spectated at Fort Bill just the once, loved it. brilliant day. Got some great picturestoo.
  • TrailGuru
    TrailGuru Posts: 53
    I went to the British Downhill Championships in Llangollen last year and it was amazing. Really great setup. I did what one of the others recommended which was to walk the whole length of the track and stop at various points to watch the action/carnage! There is usually a big pit/trade area at the bottom, yeah with food and drink etc so there's plenty to do. As with all outdoor events though, the weather can make or break your weekend!

Good luck and enjoy
    www.trailguru.co.uk - The ultimate guide to mountain biking in Wales
  • guy72277
    Jules: [laughing] Oh, man. I'm going, that's all there is to it. I'm fucking going.
    Vincent: Yeah, baby, you'd dig it the most.