People/ routes in Cambridge?

MountainMonster
MountainMonster Posts: 7,423
edited March 2012 in Road beginners
Hey guys, I'll be moving back to Cambridge in April sometime, are there any Road or TT riders in Cambridge, or anyone have any recommendations for a decent ride around there?

Comments

• jordan_217
    jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    St Ives Cc and Cambs Tri Club have weekly club runs. Details on their websites.
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    I'm a big big fan of the Cambridge Cycling club.

They cater for every kind of rider.

They meet outside addenbrooks at 9am on Sunday for the club runs (for all speeds - usually 3).

Friendly bunch, despite being East Anglians.
  • Awesome, thanks guys! Once I get my MTB sold, i'll be stopping by eventually!
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    "They meet outside addenbrooks at 9pm on Sunday for the club runs"

I'm hoping you meant 9am. Or is it Addenbrooks touting for business and organising night rides?
  • rick_chasey
    keef66 wrote:
    "They meet outside addenbrooks at 9pm on Sunday for the club runs"

I'm hoping you meant 9am. Or is it Addenbrooks touting for business and organising night rides?

Quite right.

Corrected...

(Addenbrooks is the local hospital by the way..;))
  • Boy Lard
    Boy Lard Posts: 445
    Will you be changing your Username to MayBeAVeryGradualRisesInTheRoadMonster then? You'll be struggling for anything resembling a hill, let alone a mountain :D
  • keef66
    You can always do hill repeats in the multistory car parks
  • I used to live in Cambridge for a few years, so know the area very well. Was more wondering if anyone knew any good tt routes that go through the village, thinking along from Histon or something. Maybe even some good back roads to ride on in the direction of St. Neots?
  • And the hill repeats in the car parks is actually not a bad idea. The Park St. Garage is just around the corner from my parents house, so could ride there!
  • keef66
    The only downside being the stench of stale urine!
  • keef66
    Closest I get to Cambridge is when I venture south from Newmarket. Dullingham / Fulbourn / Balsham / W. Wratting etc. Quite scenic and gently undulating.
  • rick_chasey
    I used to live in Cambridge for a few years, so know the area very well. Was more wondering if anyone knew any good tt routes that go through the village, thinking along from Histon or something. Maybe even some good back roads to ride on in the direction of St. Neots?

Where abouts in Cambridge are you?

If you're west/north, I can help you out :)

Was brought up there ( Girton).
  • keef66
    Well if he's just round the corner from the Park St multistory then he's just north of the centre.

Probably don't need reminding, but make sure you've got a bloody good bike lock / insurance!
  • rick_chasey
    I used to do this route out and back in the summer.

Used to stop and have a quick drink by the Cathedral.

http://g.co/maps/j5mgc
  • rick_chasey
    ^^ That's a proper Fenland ride.
  • tc345
    tc345 Posts: 98
    As i'm sure you're aware for decent riding near cambridge go south. As above the undulations around balsham, saffron walden and chishill way are picturesque and enjoyable.

Cambridge CC do a thursday night TT series in the summer with routes all around. I keep telling myself that i'm going to start doing them. Maybe this is the year...
  • I used to live in Cambridge for a few years, so know the area very well. Was more wondering if anyone knew any good tt routes that go through the village, thinking along from Histon or something. Maybe even some good back roads to ride on in the direction of St. Neots?

hey my family lives right.in town off bridge street. were still trying to.find a flat for ourselves when back, but most have been in the milton road area so far. is a ride out towards coton then grantchester any fun?
  • as far as locks and insurance i will my city bike, then also my proper bikes which i will keep in the flat. probably locked as well!
  • mrmutlee
    mrmutlee Posts: 12
    I'm live west of Cambridge and currently tend to ride between St Neots and Cambridge passing through villages such as Cambourne, Comberton, Haslingfield (nice 10% gradient hill, rare in cambridgeshire!), foxton, shepreth, shingay, potton, gamlingay, gransdens - 40/50 miles. Trying to find some more decent hills around this area if anybody knows of any??
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    mrmutlee wrote:
    I'm live west of Cambridge and currently tend to ride between St Neots and Cambridge passing through villages such as Cambourne, Comberton, Haslingfield (nice 10% gradient hill, rare in cambridgeshire!), foxton, shepreth, shingay, potton, gamlingay, gransdens - 40/50 miles. Trying to find some more decent hills around this area if anybody knows of any??

There are a few steep hills, nothing long though.

http://app.strava.com/segments/918624 Croydon hill just off the B1042 (the steep section averages 8.4% i think)
    http://app.strava.com/segments/1009253 this gets up to ~11%

I find that Strava is great for finding Hills.
    I used to live in Cambridge for a few years, so know the area very well. Was more wondering if anyone knew any good tt routes that go through the village, thinking along from Histon or something. Maybe even some good back roads to ride on in the direction of St. Neots?

I tend to ride in the St Neots/Biggleswade area, as well as over towards Cambridge and there are plenty of nice enough roads waiting to be discovered.

Depends what kind of roads you want though, I stay away from major roads... but you do see nutters steaming down the A428 on the dual carriageway section on their TT bike. (which i do think would be a nice road to ride if you are into dual carriageway riding!)
  • Not sure I could manage to ride on the A14 or A428, just riding those towards St. Neots on my moped a few years ago is enough to sway me away!

Looks good about the villages, an old mate of mine lives in St. Neots, so will be able to bike to his at least!
  • tc345
    tc345 Posts: 98
    mrmutlee wrote:

Go south. There aren't any decent gradients but towards chishill there are some longer ones and around saffron walden there are more short, sharpish ones too.
  • rick_chasey

hey my family lives right.in town off bridge street. were still trying to.find a flat for ourselves when back, but most have been in the milton road area so far. is a ride out towards coton then grantchester any fun?

Lovely.

Granchester's great. Not totally flat either.
  • CambsNewbie
    CambsNewbie Posts: 564
    mrmutlee wrote:

The A1198 between the A603 and A428 roundabouts seems to be a hilly as it gets around here. That and Everton hill. The sign says 14% but is that an average gradient or peak?
  • rick_chasey
    mrmutlee wrote:

The A1198 between the A603 and A428 roundabouts seems to be a hilly as it gets around here. That and Everton hill. The sign says 14% but is that an average gradient or peak?

Peak.

For sure.
  • CambsNewbie
    mrmutlee wrote:

Peak.

For sure.

Cheers for that.. I've often wondered.
  • rick_chasey
    mrmutlee wrote:

Peak.

For sure.

Trust me, you'd know if it was 14% average.
  • CambsNewbie
    mrmutlee wrote:

Peak.

For sure.

Trust me, you'd know if it was 14% average.

Trust me, I know when it's 14% peak!!
  • How far from Cambridge is a decent set of mountains? Within a few hours drive of Cambs?
  • rick_chasey
    How far from Cambridge is a decent set of mountains? Within a few hours drive of Cambs?

Won't find any mountains in England, that's for sure. ;)

I couldn't say. I quite enjoy the long flat rides, being battered by the wind.