Puh......! , Im going back to Dry Lube

Sunderland Supporter
edited March 2012 in Road beginners
After reading the comments here derailing dry lube, I put my bottle of dry lube in the garage , cleaned my chain and applied wet lube this morning. Wasnt starting work until 1 pm so I headed out on a 27 mile loop that has some nice climbs. Weather overcast but virtually no wind..............nice :D . Ride took me 1 hr and 25 mins and when Igot back,my chain was filthy :shock: . I applied the wet lube and wiped off the excess as directed, but chain is filthy after a single dry weather ride.

You can sneer at dry lube if you wish, but Im running straight back to it. :wink:
Unashamed to admit Ive zero time for Tory , Toff, In-bred , ex Public Schoolboys who are flushing our country down the crapper.

Comments

• slowondefy2
    slowondefy2 Posts: 348
    Isn't the filth that you're seeing simply the fine particles that have been moved out from within the chain? And a case of better out than in?
  • RDB66
    RDB66 Posts: 492
    Ive just tried a "Dry Lube" for the fist time..."White Lightning Clean" it is.

Superb stuff. Cleaned my chain with Petrol in a jar, then washed and dried. Apply the dry lube which is quite thin, wipe off the excess and then it drys into a Wax.

52mile ride on Sunday and the chain was still clean. Im now a convert to "Dry Lube".

Gets very good reviews on Wiggle. Recommend it.

Rich.
    A Brother of the Wheel. http://www.boxfordbikeclub.co.uk

09 Canyon Ultimate CF for the Road.
    2011 Carbon Spesh Stumpy FSR.
  • RDB66 wrote:
    Ive just tried a "Dry Lube" for the fist time..."White Lightning Clean" it is.

Superb stuff. Cleaned my chain with Petrol in a jar, then washed and dried. Apply the dry lube which is quite thin, wipe off the excess and then it drys into a Wax.

52mile ride on Sunday and the chain was still clean. Im now a convert to "Dry Lube".

Gets very good reviews on Wiggle. Recommend it.

Rich.

If I had the first notion how to:

remove a chain and put it back on, thats exactly what I would do.
    Unashamed to admit Ive zero time for Tory , Toff, In-bred , ex Public Schoolboys who are flushing our country down the crapper.
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    Here we go again.................

(I use both by the way :wink: )
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    As above really - the filth is down the the crap left within the chain being pulled out by the wet lube. Personally i get on fine with dry lube (inc 250 miles across Ireland last year with no reapplication as I forgot to take any) but believe this is down to having a COMPLETELY clean dry chain to start with.

Applying any lube to a dirty chain will simply end of spreading the dirt / lube around, so if you want a clean transmission then start with clean components before lubing (inc cassette, jockey wheels and chainrings as well as the chain).

I've just started using Squirt dry lube on my good bike and love it. Seems really good for me.

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/tools/cycling-tools/product/review-bikinventions-squirt-lube-32098
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,662
    The clue is in the name peeps - Use wet lube when it's wet. Properly wet. Most of them are designed for use with MTB's when we re riding through rain, puddles, mud and gloop and need to hold on to as much lube as possible, even at the expense of a clean chain.

I hardly ever use wet lube on the roadie. Wax lube is good for dry conditions but will disappear in anything even a little bit wet so then I use dry lube.
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    Finish Line Krytech when it's dry.
    Finish Line Wet / Cross Country when it's wet.

Never had an issue with either.
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • neilo23
    neilo23 Posts: 783
    Filth...dry...lube....

Dear sir,

Imagine how disappointed I was after reading this article..

Yours,