Gutted. Cannondale SL1 problem.

arussiansniper
arussiansniper Posts: 36
edited March 2012 in MTB beginners
I've had my 2012 SL1 for less than a week and it's already had to go in to my LBS...

I went for a ride this afternoon, nothing serious just a 5 mile loop to go and see my family. I was 10 minutes away from home and felt what seemed like the chain popping off, i hopped off and noticed the chain was on. Everything was moving as I turned the crank, everything except the bloody wheel.

I free-wheeled home and had a proper look and realised the problem was with the hub. The shop I bought it from (Sunset MTB in Wales) have been sound about it and said I can take it wherever I want to have it fixed and then invoice them. I've taken it into my LBS in Derby and I'm hopefully looking at a pretty quick turnaround.

Anyway, just wondered if anybody else has had a problem with Shimano hubs, pawls, Cannondale's etc, especially so soon after buying a new bike?!

As you can imagine I'm absolutely gutted. It's a week old for crying out loud!

Jim
Cannondale SL1 2012

'As far back as I can remember, I've always wanted to be a gangster' - Henry Hill

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    These things happen! Fairly rare on new Shimano hubs, but they are on the ball. Easy fix/replace.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Shimano hubs are pretty bulletproof - I am still using some almost 25 years old - just bad luck probably.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    just one of those things, i had the same issue with the DT hub on my canyon within a few weeks of getting it, wheel had to go back to DT because they wanted to know why it had failed, they just replaced it and got it back to me
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    I had a freehub break 2 weeks after i bought my previous bike and it was replaced under warranty, never had a fault again, so no biggie
  • I've got it back! All sorted...time to fit my new bits and pieces :-)
    Cannondale SL1 2012

'As far back as I can remember, I've always wanted to be a gangster' - Henry Hill
  • toasty
    toasty Posts: 2,598
    Freewheels seem pretty random in their lifespan, I've had a Shimano one die quick, the rest have lasted for ages.
  • Hairylegs66
    Hairylegs66 Posts: 103
    Ditto other comments about freehub lifespan - just bad luck but at least it happened under warranty & only 10 mins from home. Enjoy yr new SL1