Don't post in here often, but you lot will know!

gtvlusso
gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
edited March 2012 in MTB general
Hi All,

I have a Surly 1 x 1 singlespeed MTB: Built with:

1 x 1 Surly 17" frame
Thomson x4 stem
Thomson seatpost
Whyte saddle
Avid Juicy 5 203mm brakes
Mavic Crossride wheels
Surly singlespeed kit
XT crankset + external BB and surly ring
Bobike mini child seat with bracket (toptube mounted!)

The problem is this:

The bike is light, very light - the brakes are way oversized for my abilities, weight and the bikes weight. I carry my little girl on a bobike front seat whilst riding the local singletrack. As it is, the bike brakes perfectly for the added 15kg (child + seat + bracket). As the 1 x 1 has a rigid fork, I was looking to put on some much bigger tyres to soften the bumps up for junior - The reason for mentioning the disc brakes is that I will probably de braze the canti mounts! I think that the 1 x 1 will fit a 2.7 tyre as it stands.

I am running Panarace Razer 2.3 tyres on the 19mm width crossride disk rims - the crossride is specified from 1.9 to 2.3 tyres - so, I am at the max on these wheels - but dos anyone run anything bigger with success?

Crossrides are 24 hole rims, so, if I wanted to buy a wider rim I am very limited, in fact the questions are these:

1, Will bigger tyres running lower pressures be more comfortable for junior?
2,Does anyone know of a 24h wide mtb rim that I could put bigger tyres on?
3, Any drawbacks or should I just leave t whole thing alone and cope?!

**I don't want to fit a suspension fork!!!!!

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The larger, lower pressure tyre will indeed add comfort. Anything above about 2.4 does start to cause problems ie the tyre rolling and squirming.

I wouldn't re rim the wheel: I'd buy new ones! You could sell the crossride for 80 quid and buy a new set for not much more.

Or just fit a 2.4.

If you do go the new wheel route, you might like this:

viewtopic.php?f=40050&t=12839453#p17479282
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    I think I would like to keep the crossrides - maybe buy a second wheels set with ballooon tyres for junior.

Thinking Halo combat (cheap and cheerful) + 2.7 minions or something! Super Fat!

Style over substance, me?........never! ;-)