What Should I Upgrade?

jerryfudd
jerryfudd Posts: 343
edited March 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi all,

First post to the board and a question thats been on my mind for awhile..... how do you determine the next component to upgrade on a working bike? is it the 'lowest' model? or is it where the quality is needed the most and if so where is that?

Reason I ask is that I have a off the shelf 2011 Rockhopper Comp SL with SLX chainset and XT front front mech and around £100 to spend....

i was thinking replacing the HG30 cassette and SLX rear mech for XT jobbies - just to make what i could 'XT' (...no more technical reason than that) - but if i was looking at the 'lowest model' component it would be the Deore shifters.

I've been mountain biking for quite awhile but only recently been curious what better components could do for me since i got a newer bike - having never used 'good' components I'm really just doing trial and error so hoping someone on here can help me spend more wisely :D

thanks

Dan

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    First off you don't always 'need' to upgrade. The way to determine it is to identify what you want form the upgrade. Lighter weight? Slicker gears? Stronger? Better grip? Smoother fork?

However many benefit form new lighter tyres. Drivetrain I wouldn't change until it wears out.
  • jerryfudd
    jerryfudd Posts: 343
    True - you probably hit the nail on the head there but I ride for fun so if better shifters would give me a slicker shift bring it on.

I guess most of all I want the bike to run smooth, fast and still shift well when caked in mud and under load so i can change quickly and get up a troublesome hill without stopping.

I'm not so bothered about weight as I'm a big guy anyway and id prefer my components to be super robust than super light.

Tyre wise I'm more than happy, i just love my 1.8 XC Fire's :)

Dan
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Not worth changing the rear mech - though XT shifters are smoother. Apart form that, I'd leave it! Save up for new forks like Rebas.