HR advice

secretsam
secretsam Posts: 5,120
edited March 2012 in Commuting chat
Hey there, am possibly facing the dreaded "R" word, and I'm a little at sea, so anyone got any top tips on dealing with this?

Any HR experts out there - would appreciate some advice!

It's just a hill. Get over it.

Comments

• DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Always a good starting point: http://www.acas.org.uk/index.aspx?articleid=1365
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,629
    Why
    how
    how big company v how many redundancies
    notice period
    length of time with company
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Firstly - good luck, I hope that it does not come to the big R for you.

I am going through restructuring this across 5 countries at the moment (my team are spread far and wide!):

Works a bit like this in the UK:

collective consultancy - more than 20 people on one site whose jobs are ending
    Individual consultancy - person by person basis.

It is up to the company to decide whether or not a particular role is now not viable with the 'new' business model - i.e the role has ended

**some ball'less managers use this process to get rid of staff they don't like: i.e. say, x job has ended, then re-advertise x job once staff member has been made redundant - same role, different name and slighly changed approach. Totally f*cknut management.

In other words, let the company lead you. At each step of process you should/must be informed of any decisions affecting your role/contract by the line manager or HR.

Don't take it personally.

I am dealing with German works council at the moment, US union and representative from Kuala Lumpur and Bangalore.....unfortunately, it will come down to me to lose 20% from my team. However, I may be out of a job myself!

c'est la vie!
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    gtvlusso wrote:

This.

Also, get your CV out there even if your chances of staying are good. Nothing worse than being out of control of your future.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    notsoblue wrote:
    gtvlusso wrote:

This.

Also, get your CV out there even if your chances of staying are good. Nothing worse than being out of control of your future.
    +1
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.