New road bike so uncomfortable!

hitchen92
hitchen92 Posts: 264
edited March 2012 in Road beginners
I've just bought a new Bianchi Nirone 7 and it has a San Marco Ponza saddle (white). I've only ridden the bike a couple of times due to the saddle being unbearably uncomfortable as soon as i start to ride! I've been away from bikes now for about 18months and never had this before? Have I got the setup of the saddle wrong or is it just this saddle that is uncomfortable?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Kris

Comments

• citrus_
    citrus_ Posts: 60
    Saddles are quite a personal thing, with different people liking and hating different things. Although if you've been away from bikes for so long, then the chances are that your bum has got a bit softer than you remember it.
  • logitech208
    logitech208 Posts: 167
    I had this saddle on my bike and I have managed to cover nearly 1000 miles on it with a very sore arse after each ride.

I have just swapped it out for a charge spoon and OMG what a transformation it has made its like sitting on a cushion now.
  • charliew87
    charliew87 Posts: 371
    I have that bike and saddle combo. My first ever road bike so not sure what is normal, but I've been happy with it. Bit sore afterwards sometimes, and first jumping on the next day is never that comfortable but nothing I wouldnt expect.
    Canyon AL Ultimate 9.0
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    . . .the saddle being unbearably uncomfortable as soon as i start to ride! . . .

. . . is a sign of something seriously wrong in the shape or position of the saddle. If you'd just gone soft, it would get uncomfortable as you went along. Play around with the height and position to see if it gets any better, but if you and your saddle can't agree, one of you has to change!
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    I bought a used Ponza by mistake off of ebay (looking at wrong reviews).

When i looked at the right reviews for it (after putting the bid on), they seem to be unpopular as the centre of the saddle is quite raised and a lot of riders get numbnuts from them.

However, it's been absolutely fine over regular rides (though I've only done up to 50 miles on it at one go).

Anyway - just goes to show everyone'd saddle requirements are different. Best go to a local shop with a saddle measurer device (Specialized) to make sure you know what width saddle will work with your pelvis sit-bones. Then take it from there.
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    Giraffoto wrote:
    . . .the saddle being unbearably uncomfortable as soon as i start to ride! . . .

. . . is a sign of something seriously wrong in the shape or position of the saddle. If you'd just gone soft, it would get uncomfortable as you went along. Play around with the height and position to see if it gets any better, but if you and your saddle can't agree, one of you has to change!
    +1 - this sounds like position and not the actual shape not suiting his ar$e, position needs altering (picture would help!), cos he's only been on it a couple of times ...
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    As stated if hurting immediately probably angle/position.

Try moving the saddle so it sits flat or slightly nose down/up and see if any of those help.

Also try height and for/aft adjustment.

Have you considered a bike fit?
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    drop the saddle nose down a touch, especially if this is your first road bike for a while. As you lean forward much more on a road bike you need the saddle tilt to match it otherwise it presses into you gentleman's vegetables, which is not comfortable.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • I'm also new to cycling and had the same issue on exactely the same bike / saddle combo doing my first ride out. I've done three runs on it now and it's fine for me however i have as the last post suggests tipped the nose of the saddle down and made sure that the rest of the bike is also fitted to me correctly.
  • andy46
    andy46 Posts: 1,666
    Some good replies here, do you use padded shorts?
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

2015 Specialized Roubaix Sport sl4

2014 Specialized Allez Sport
  • njd37
    njd37 Posts: 162
    Ive also got a San Marco Ponza saddle, not the same bike, but a different Bianchi. The saddle really isn't that comfortable, I've tried nose down it makes very little difference, after 50miles i can't wait to get off the thing, 35miles is about my limit on it. Ive done several thousand miles on it and am now on a search for something better - probably fizik
  • centimani
    centimani Posts: 467
    g00se wrote:
    I bought a used Ponza by mistake off of ebay (looking at wrong reviews).

When i looked at the right reviews for it (after putting the bid on), they seem to be unpopular as the centre of the saddle is quite raised and a lot of riders get numbnuts from them.However, it's been absolutely fine over regular rides (though I've only done up to 50 miles on it at one go).

Anyway - just goes to show everyone'd saddle requirements are different. Best go to a local shop with a saddle measurer device (Specialized) to make sure you know what width saddle will work with your pelvis sit-bones. Then take it from there.

Ponza / Via nirone combo here too...the raised centre section isnt so noticeable on mine, but is very noticeable on my winter hack with a Ponza.
    TBF, i find them quite comfortable, hence getting the second one for my hack. Yes, i have very very occasionally got numb parts, but regularly used to do 40 or 50 miles before getting uncomfortable.
    As said earlier, one mans meat...
  • njd37 wrote:
    and am now on a search for something better - probably fizik

Which particular fizik ?

Is your consideration based upon having tried the chosen fizik or hype ?

I had an arione for a short duration and ive sat upon more comfortable concrete slabs. Assbuster is precisely how Id describe the arione and no amount of adjustment could make it comfortable for me, there are of course riders who are ideally suited to that saddle and have no such issues. I recently picked up a mint leather San Marco Rolls for a paltry £25 and my ass is in bum heaven as ive found my desert island saddle :D

Please do be careful with your money when it comes to Fiziks and hype, those saddles arent cheap.
    Unashamed to admit Ive zero time for Tory , Toff, In-bred , ex Public Schoolboys who are flushing our country down the crapper.
  • woodywmb
    woodywmb Posts: 669
    Wrap an inner tube round the saddle. Stretch the rubber to hold it tight in place like a giant elastic band. Then give the valve a few blasts with a pump. Make sure the valve is underneath. And it can be either Presta or Schraeder.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Some saddles are just plain evil. I can get along with most. It every so often I find one that just doesn't suit me.

Id try the charge spoon though - very cheap and most people get on with them.
  • nickwill
    nickwill Posts: 2,735
    njd37 wrote:
    and am now on a search for something better - probably fizik

Which particular fizik ?

Is your consideration based upon having tried the chosen fizik or hype ?

I had an arione for a short duration and ive sat upon more comfortable concrete slabs. Assbuster is precisely how Id describe the arione and no amount of adjustment could make it comfortable for me, there are of course riders who are ideally suited to that saddle and have no such issues. I recently picked up a mint leather San Marco Rolls for a paltry £25 and my ass is in bum heaven as ive found my desert island saddle :D

Please do be careful with your money when it comes to Fiziks and hype, those saddles arent cheap.
    Of the people I ride with, most of us ride Fizik Ariones. I've never found a more comfortable saddle. I did try an Arione Versus (with the pressure relief groove, and it nearly killed me). I quickly reverted back to the standard Arione. Saddles are such a personal thing that no-one can really advise you. If you want to try a different saddle, it's worth looking on ebay. Buy one and if you don't like it you will get something close to what you paid for it by putting it back on ebay.
  • joshr96
    joshr96 Posts: 153
    Try a gel cover. They are like a squidy cover that you place over your saddle and tie around the seat post. In my opinion they spoil the look hence why I have never bought one. I, however, used one on someone elses bike and they are very comfortable.
    Carrera TDF 2011 Limited Edition.
    Crossbow Hybrid
    Boardman AiR 9.8 one day..
  • andrewjoseph
    andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165
    some places let you 'hire' several saddles to try over a week or so. you then may get a reduction on the saddle you buy.

Fizik used to have a no quibble money back guarantee if you took the saddle back with a set time, i think a month.

I broke two fizik saddles within 9 months. happy with my brooks swift and b17 on the mtb. however, the b17 is getting old now and I'm starting to get a few niggles with it.
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails