OT : fans of collies

londonlivvy
londonlivvy Posts: 644
edited March 2012 in Commuting chat
I know there are a few collie fans on here so though very very off topic, thought it might be worth posting....

A friend sent me this vid of a collie winning the agility at Crufts and it is truly impressive stuff. Very clever, very fast animals - totally on the ball, looking at the owner to see what to do next.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3y6KjzkEBuk&feature=plcp&context=C494a8adVDvjVQa1PpcFO8TfPlY9x3J6TMTm-TATQmuXWFPNpl98E%3D

Comments

• mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    blimey!

she is like a Doppelgänger of Molly - our border collie

cheers
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Flipping Heck indeed.

Collies rock, no question. What I love is that a dog like that is such a happy dog - totally absorbed in the mission. I always love the slalom - they flow through it so fluidly it looks like they're simply going in straight line.

I should point out that Jerry's (that's him in the avatar, of course) mum is a Crufts champion - at flyball! I'm afraid I've never had the time or dedication to train him to that level, but we all like to believe that our dog could do it if we really wanted it, don't we?
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    bompington wrote:

Collies rock, no question.

Amen.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Crufts is weird.
  • Saw my mate walking down the road dragging along a cabbage on a lead.

I said "Hey, John! What are you doing with that cabbage?"

"Cabbage?" says he, "The man in the pet shop swore it was a collie"

I'll get my coat....
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • mudcow007
    come on then.....everybody get your collie out

IMG_1099.jpg
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    I love collies, mine are blended with staffie, but are.fantastic, clever dogs. Although I always carry a lead I've almost never used one when walking the dogs.

Unfortunately mine are now very elderly and deaf as posts, which means now have to use the lead - not that they can walk that far now anyway...... But they are still happy dogs!
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,629
    thread hijack with my parents goldie Gina...

534331698861535e346222173ba339d5bd80eae2f64fc6fafe923ac7d132a4a6e8e74ab6.jpg

nowt against collies but for me goldies rule.
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    Collies are great, we used to have 4 when I was growing up; all working sheep dogs though, not pets.
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    thread hijack with my parents goldie Gina...

534331698861535e346222173ba339d5bd80eae2f64fc6fafe923ac7d132a4a6e8e74ab6.jpg

nowt against collies but for me goldies rule.

technically - not your dog....

But I like the blending into the scenery - lovely pic!
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Wilmaloo does surprise after reading a controversial article in the guardian:

IMG_2008.jpg

The stinkhound does snowhoundery:

IMG_2214.jpg
  • FoldingJoe
    FoldingJoe Posts: 1,327
    Little boy to Obama: "My Dad says that you read all our emails"
    Obama to little boy: "He's not your real Dad"

Kona Honky Tonk for sale: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40090&t=13000807
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Can. Not. Stand. Dogs.

But that's partly because guns are illegal so the equivalent in the inner cities is to have a dog. And you can usually spot those dogs from the name alone.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • mudcow007
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Can. Not. Stand. Dogs.

But that's partly because guns are illegal so the equivalent in the inner cities is to have a dog. And you can usually spot those dogs from the name alone.

there was a documentary about scallywags an dogs not that long ago*

there was one young hoodily-wink who had a staff with a massive lead with studs etc all over it. He said to the interviewer "its like walking around with a loaded shotgun init" referring to the dog

*could have been ages ago
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Many programs like that. One such program on BBC 3 had an interview with a guy I went to school with. He was mugged and as he was pulling his head away (forget the circumstance) the dog almost had it's mouth around his throat.

Collies, in principle, look lovely though....
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Can. Not. Stand. Dogs.

You are in a small minority in this country then, always grew up with German Shepherds as my dad was a dog handler for the water authority (as it was) as the sites were targets for the IRA back then and the dogs were trained to sniff explosives etc etc

You mean you should hate the people that misuse the dogs, it's not the dogs fault.
  • vitesse169
    vitesse169 Posts: 422
    We've got a tri-colour collie called Gracie. She's 18months old and really inteligent. Loves to run, find stuff, catch stuff, shake a paw and 'sing' - all with just 3 legs. She had to have the right rear leg amputated at a week old, so she's never missed it. She's certainly faster than the retreiver we have.
  • redjeepǃ
    redjeepǃ Posts: 531
    We have a collie crossed with an English setter. Fantastic dog. Very fit and agile, but intelligent with it.
  • He's not my dog, but this is Dylan, and he loves playing tug of war.

HiddenEarth2010BJWhiteside075.jpg