Climbing The Ryals (Northumberland)

cje
cje Posts: 148
edited March 2012 in Road beginners
Hi all

I've got it in my head to go and try the infamous Ryal climbs in Northumberland this weekend, as I'm due to be tackling them on the Virgin Money Cyclone in June.

Just how bad are they?

Bear in mind that I'm a big bloke and the biggest climbs I tackle on my normal training route are Birney Hill, the road out of Stamfordham, and the short, steep climb from Bolam Lake up towards Whalton. I'm wondering whether I'm biting off more than I can chew.

Any guidance welcome!

Thanks

CJE

Comments

• rickwiggans
    rickwiggans Posts: 416
    The climb is really nothing to worry about. It is only about a mile in total, and it never gets terribly steep, and you get some respite, because it eases a couple of times on the way up. Bear in mind that all sportive organisers want to include a "fearsome" hill as part of the marketing blurb. The Ryals is just a hill.

http://garstangcyclingclub.net
  • y33stu
    y33stu Posts: 376
    Good man! I'm similar to you, 6ft 3, 100kg, and the first time I saw the Ryals my heart almost stopped! As you approach them, it looks like a solid brick wall on the horizon. There are 2 hills, the first is the worst, not too steep to start with, but then it gets steeper for maybe 150 yards, which is pretty nasty for a beginner. The first time I tried them I failed to get up the first hill. Then you get a flat for about 200 yards, before the next hill, which is longer but not as bad. Its tough, out of the saddle work, but once you get to the top, turn around - what a view - well worth it. Then you get a nice downhill all the way to matfen. It is just a hill, but a tricky one for non climbers. Give it a shot, although I struggle up now, I love the challenge. Good luck!
    Cycling prints
    Band of Climbers
  • Chris James
    Chris James Posts: 1,040
    My inlaws live in ponteland, but not sure about how steep the roads you normally do. I can't recall any noticeable hills out of Bolam Lake and Stamfordham!

As has been stated above, the Ryals aren't so bad. They are two short ramps with a slight breather between them. The first is pretty steep (1 in 5?), but it is very short. The second isn't so bad. Often the wind is behind you helping you too.
  • cje
    My inlaws live in ponteland, but not sure about how steep the roads you normally do. I can't recall any noticeable hills out of Bolam Lake and Stamfordham!

That's the problem. The hills I'm used to are probably considered flat by the experienced roadie! Thanks to everyone for the advice. I'll see how I get on - if I fail, it'll motivate me to improve my climbing!
  • rickwiggans
    rickwiggans Posts: 416
    You won't fail. You'll either perform as hoped, or recognise an opportunity for improvement. Think positive!

http://garstangcyclingclub.net
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    You won't fail. You'll either perform as hoped, or recognise an opportunity for improvement. Think positive!

+1

Tough job though...
  • cje
    Cheers for the encouragement. I've plotted a 45 mile route and I'll be hitting the Ryals at about the 30 mile mark so I should be suitably warmed up.
  • Kolraz
    Kolraz Posts: 47
    As others have said, they are really nothing to worry about, just two reasonable ramps with a slight break in the middle. What you have to bare in mind is that tackling the ryals after having ridden around 80-90 miles already (assuming you opt for the full cyclone route) is probably why so many people hype them up to be difficult.
  • cje
    Ah well, the 1st hill defeated me but I got over the 2nd! The problem was that I found the approach quite hilly, so I couldn't really carry any speed into it and the gradient proved too much.

It was still a worthwhile experience, and highlighted the need to lose some weight and work on my climbing. On the positive side, at a shade under 45 miles it was my longest ever ride, and I managed a reasonable 16mph average.

Onwards and (slowly) upwards!