Route to Excel London (not the spreadsheet)

rjsterry
rjsterry Posts: 29,359
edited March 2012 in Commuting chat
Just a quick one for those who commute to the Docklands. I'm off to the Ecobuild expo next week and am thinking of cycling as PT is a bit of a faff and the distance is not too far. I can get to Tower Hill/Aldgate no problem, but am I better off taking the Highway or Commercial Road to Limehouse, and then East India Dock Road? The Lower Lea Crossing doesn't look much fun but then neither does Barking Road. Anyone have any route advice? Thanks in advance.
1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition

Comments

• SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Oh, I thought you were wanting spreadsheet help.

Sorry, many years ago I was a dispatch rider in London, but my navigational knowledge has atrophied to the extent that I had to use the sat nav on my phone to get from Mayfair to Old Street the other week :oops:
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    SimonAH wrote:
    Oh, I thought you were wanting spreadsheet help.
    :lol:
    Me too. I was going to say "Start->programs->Microsoft Office....."
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    Ok, Highway is my preference to CS3 which goes up Cable Street. At the end of the Highway (Limehouse tunnel) cross the road and go down Narrow St (You can also turn left before tunnel and go through St James Gardens on CS3 but I wouldn't). Once on Narrow St you'll pick up CS3 when it joins it. Follow it to West Ferry (which is where my local knowledge ends) but you can then stay on CS3 down poplar high street and toward the Lower Lea Crossing. I'd be tempted to give this a go as from google at least it has cycle path. Either way it's two lanes in both directions and you'll be against the traffic in the morning and evenings. It cannot be any worse than the highway....
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • rjsterry
    Thanks Sketchley. Seems like getting there might not be too hard, but finding my way around the complex to find somewhere to lock the bike up might be more of a challenge
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    rjsterry wrote:
    Thanks Sketchley. Seems like getting there might not be too hard, but finding my way around the complex to find somewhere to lock the bike up might be more of a challenge

There's lots of parking at the ExCel centre, motorcycles are free they may have bike facilities., http://www.excel-london.co.uk/visitors/travel/parking might be worth giving them a call and asking what's there.
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    i hope u have a good selection of locks and very PF proof tyres
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • rjsterry
    itboffin wrote:
    i hope u have a good selection of locks and very PF proof tyres

Hmmmm, maybe I'll ride into work and then take one of the Bromptons - I don't fancy sitting through several hours of seminars worrying about my bike.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rjsterry
    Well I did it. The Highway was fine. CS3 is a bit weird, especially the contraflow bit on Narrow Street - not like CS7 or CS8 at all - much more winding and less obviously direct. Lower Lea Crossing: there is a cycle path on the southern side, which I didn't find until the return leg :roll:. Riding over a steep dual carriageway bridge with a heavy bag was not much fun even with the light traffic. Oh, and Excel claims to have lots of cycle parking, but f*** knows where it is. Nice little tour of three of the Hawksmoor churches as well.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Koncordski
    Koncordski Posts: 1,009
    Good stuff, if you're ever that way again ignore CS3 as it turns right at the Narrow pub (heading west into the contraflow) and go straight on. You'll come out back on the highway at a ped crossing right by the limehouse tunnel exit. Much easier and you don't have to use that shared path over the footbridge.

#1 Brompton S2L Raw Lacquer, Leather Mudflaps
    #2 Boeris Italia race steel
    #3 Scott CR1 SL
    #4 Trek 1.1 commuter
    #5 Peugeot Grand Tourer (Tandem)
  • rjsterry
    Koncordski wrote:
    Good stuff, if you're ever that way again ignore CS3 as it turns right at the Narrow pub (heading west into the contraflow) and go straight on. You'll come out back on the highway at a ped crossing right by the limehouse tunnel exit. Much easier and you don't have to use that shared path over the footbridge.

I think I did this without realising. I found CS3 much harder to follow than the two I'm used to.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rebs
    rebs Posts: 891
    Commercial Road is scary. You'll see cars flying out of side turnings all the way down. Not so bad once you've ridden it afew times. But beware.