Buckled DT Swiss x1900

DAZZA17
DAZZA17 Posts: 2
edited March 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi, I took delivery of a new Canyon Nerve last month. It has a DT Swiss X 1900 wheel set, which look great. First ride on it was XC to see how it felt, the second was to Glentress. About an hour in I decided to give the free ride area a go and rode off a log, about a 1 foot drop on to a down slope. When the front hit the ground I soon found myself in mid air. When I got up and looked at the bike the front wheel was the shape of a pringle and rubbing against the forks. Has anyone had problems with these wheels? I am thinking they were not under enough tension or something similiar and is it fixable; don't fancy spending more money. :(

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Mmmmm crashed on the FR. Section.

Now was the crash a result of the wheel or was the bent wheel th result of the drop?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    see page 98 of your canyon owners manual " INTENDED USE "
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • baznav73
    baznav73 Posts: 111
    If it's bent that much it's new rim time.
  • Wheels are very, very strong things when you think how little they weigh. However their strengh depends on them taking the forces in the direction they were designed for. If you land off a drop, maybe a bit front end heavy and go forwards, or sideways over the bars, then your whole bodyweight, plus it's momentum, gets used to load the wheel in a way it's not designed for. And you get the pringle shape described earlier. Sometimes you get away with a bad landing, sometimes you don't.

That's one of the reasons DH rims are so heavy, they're designed to take a whole load more force.

You will need a new rim and spokes, by the way.
    Courage is doing what you're afraid to do. There can be no courage unless you're scared - Rickenbacker.