PSA for users of the Bristol-Bath cyclepath

redvee
redvee Posts: 11,922
edited March 2012 in Commuting chat
It will be resurfaced starting next monday and will be closed in places with diversions along local roads.

http://www.betterbybike.info/bristol-ba ... esurfacing
Pedestrians and cyclists making their way between Bristol and Bath are set to notice an improvement, as work to resurface sections of the route (part of NCN4) are due to get underway.

Thanks to a grant from Sustrans and the DfT Links to Schools and Communities Programme, Bristol City Council will be undertaking much needed resurfacing on the Bristol and Bath Railway Path.

The extensive resurfacing will concentrate on sections of the path that have been damaged by tree roots and will stretch between Ridgeway Playing Fields in Speedwell and the end of the path in St. Phillips.

The path will be closed in sections to ensure the safety of path users and to allow the contractors carrying out the works a safe working environment. A number of 24hour closures will be necessary, with full signed diversions in place for pedestrians and cyclists.

Work will commence on Monday 19th March and last for approximately 2 weeks.
Motorists using roads adjacent and parallel to the Railway Path should expect a higher number of pedestrians and cyclists to be sharing routes between the 19th and 30th March.

Cllr Jon Rogers says: “This funding announcement is great news, and gives us the opportunity to further invest in making sure cycling is a real transport choice in our city. I would urge motorist to be aware of more cyclists on the roads during this short period.”

Cllr Tim Kent says: “The Railway Path is one of the busiest traffic free routes in the country carrying over 3,000 cycle journeys per day, so we really want to make sure people’s journeys on foot and bike are as safe and attractive as possible. Improving the surface is one of the ways we can achieve this. I hope that despite a few weeks of disruption, people will appreciate the long term benefits this will bring.”

Adrian Roper, Sustrans Regional Director in the South West, added: “The Railway Path is where Sustrans as a charity began. Over recent years a number of new routes and initiatives have really boosted cycling in Bristol, but it’s equally important to make sure our older routes are still in good condition. We’re pleased to be working with Bristol City Council to help bring this much-loved route back up to a high standard.”
I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.

Comments

• SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Then I think that a ride must be scheduled to test out the new buttery smooth surface when the work is completed no?
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • Hmm. mixed reaction here

That section of the path is a bit of a disaster and I was worrying about it affecting the longevity of my road bike.

But I was also going to include it in my justification for getting a CX bike... ill just have to go for the better brakes to avoid the loony pedestrians excuse.

Although this morning it was cars and bikes rather than pedestrians trying to kill me
  • dodgerdog
    dodgerdog Posts: 292
    You just have to hope that they seal the surface properly before laying the blacktop. They surfaced a stretch between Flax Bourton & Nailsea but failed to seal the old surface and hence weeds grew through the tarmac causing a terrible surface which needed remediation work.
    Allez Triple (hairy with mudguards) - FCN 4
    Ribble Gran Fondo
  • dodgerdog
    dodgerdog Posts: 292
    You just have to hope that they seal the surface properly before laying the blacktop. They surfaced a stretch between Flax Bourton & Nailsea but failed to seal the old surface and hence weeds grew through the tarmac causing a terrible surface which needed remediation work.
    Allez Triple (hairy with mudguards) - FCN 4
    Ribble Gran Fondo
  • corshamjim
    corshamjim Posts: 234
    Thanks for the heads-up, redvee. I'm planning on cycling Bath-Bristol to the Bespoked Bristol show on 24th March.