Avid Elixir 1 Problems

mayonaise
mayonaise Posts: 159
edited March 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi,

Had a new bike recently fitted with Avid Elixir 1 brakes. First ride was a 22 mile one around Cannock Chase. The first 15 miles or so were fine but in the last few miles, the rear brake lever got closer and closer to the bar when I pulled it up until the point where I could touch the bar with the lever.

I know this is not meant to happen so have Googled the problem but to of no avail.

The front brake is absolutely fine, its just the rear I am having the problems with.

What's up with it?

Cheers.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Adjust the reach adjuster. Allen headed screw under the lever. It will be in the downloadable annual on SRAMs webby.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • mayonaise
    mayonaise Posts: 159
    Thanks Nick, will do that tomorrow.

Just out of interest, why did it only happen on the rear brake and not the front too? :?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    You will have been dragging your rear brake causing more wear. And the self adjuster has not caught up.

You could just leave the bike over night with the lever held in the on position. In the morning remove the rubber band/zip tie and pull the lever a few times and it will likely be fine as well. Or may be a bit better but still needing an adjust.

2mm Allen key normally.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown