Quality commuting eyewear

jonny_trousers
jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
edited March 2012 in Commuting chat
I know it must seem like I can't buy any equipment without polling you lot first, but it is useful to get first-hand advice. Anyway...

I could do with getting some new cycling glasses anyway, but it just occurred to me that lime tree polen season will be upon us soon and I would ideally like to avoid the gritty eyes I had to endure last year (NB: I don't suffer from hayfever). I don't know whether one style of glasses is better than another for this, but if so, I would appreciate your thoughts. Ideally I don't want to spend a ridiculous amount, as I'll no doubt lose or break them at some point, and I could do with interchangeable lenses as I always return from my commute at night. I notice Cycling Plus were big on the Tifosi Roubaixs for value, but apart from the fact that they are tricky to get hold of now, I'm not sure I'm that into their styling.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Bolle safety glasses from eBay. Cheap as chips and available in clear, blue or yellow. Look just the part.

The Contour, Axis and Bandido and Tracker ones look good. All between £6 and £12.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    +pi
    I get these from work. No tears when dropped, lost, scratched or broken - just unwrap another pair.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Check out the Cratoni range on Chain Reaction. Just bought the Samurais. Excellent.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • jonny_trousers
    Cheers. I did get some Bolle safety glasses a while ago and I have to say, I found them pretty damn uncomfortable for on the bike.

I'll check out the Cratonis cjcp, thanks!
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    Radars EOD.

I've tried the Bolles, not grippy on the arms/nose so have to push up all the time.
    Spesh - Broke
    DHB - broke x2
    Decathlon Jobs = lenses too small.

Radars = ahhhh. Comfy, indestructable (feeling, anyway) and great lenses.

A bit expensive (check out the outlet shops) but worth it. I think I'll always be Oakley now.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • cjcp
    Oh, if you don't like the Cratoni range, I've also used UVEX in the past. They were very good, too. £35 IIRC.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • welkman
    welkman Posts: 396
    I like my choakleys.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,362
    The DHB specs from Wiggle are dirt cheap. Nothing outstanding, but certainly serviceable. Not as cheap as Bolle, but still no disaster if they get trashed. The Tifosi Roubaixs are available from Evans BTW.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    +1 on the DHB. Do the job and come with iridium, clear and orange lenses.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    I like my Bolle Contours, not suffered from them slipping off my nose.

I had some Tifosi glasses which looked nice but got very scratched very quickly.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • I've been using these since last year. Good selection of lenses, I find them light and comfortable:

http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/product ... -with-case
    Trek Domane 4.3. Merida One.forty 7.700. Merida CX 3. Voodoo Bizango
    "When the vulture flies sideways the moon has hair on his upper lip"
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    @friedpizzainbatter: :P Yum! Brings me back to my schooldays! Half deep fried pizza in batter with salt n vinegar washed down with a can of Coke. That cloying taste of saturated fat congealing in the mouth was heaven!

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcREhfmR6IFEldpKlf4MDIJmPq6uS63SttJe5KUIw4vUzV9ddyJFzw
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,629
    kelsen wrote:
    @friedpizzainbatter: :P Yum! Brings me back to my schooldays! Half deep fried pizza in batter with salt n vinegar washed down with a can of Coke. That cloying taste of saturated fat congealing in the mouth was heaven!

Hahahaha and there was a "good" chippie that served those down the road from the original edinburgh bike shop too so a triangle of links...
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • jonny_trousers
    See that's why this place is so useful! Not only do I have some great tips for eyewear, but I'm reminded of how lucky I am not to live in Scotland!

Thanks all! Very helpful suggestions. I have to say, I'd love some Jawbones, but apart from not being able to justify the expense I wonder if I'd look a bit all-the-gear-no-idea. A bit like shaving your legs just for the commute (come on, one or two of you actually do that don't you?). I'm not in love with any Tifosis so Bails saying that they scratch easily has settled that one. The Cratonis look to be ridiculously good value, but none come with clear lenses, which I want for night time riding. The DHBs look nice enough and are great value, but the winners so far friedpizaainbatter's Enduras: simple, stylish enough, decent value, all the lenses I'll need and they look a hell of a lot like my old Oakley Halfjackets (that I left on my garden wall :( )
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    Sorry! I forgot the whole point of this thread after being distracted by the deep fried pizza. I have these and they are very good value. Three sets of lenses including clear and non-slip frame.

http://www.maxgear.co.uk/MAXTornadoBike ... Black.html

Also available in white

http://www.maxgear.co.uk/Sunglasses/index.html
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    Halfjackets, had them a couple of years, have some orange lenses for bad and night time use, some persimmion for changable conditions and some fire iridium xlj lenses for posing when on sunday rides in the summer
  • jonny_trousers
    Oh crap! I've just started reading reviews for all kinds of brands and now I'm sure I will convince myself I need to spend more for quality. Bollox!
  • cjcp
    The Cratoni Samurais have clear, orange and dark lenses. They come with all three, in a nice big box with sponge padding.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,770
    I've got some Bloc glasses with interchangeable lenses, clear, tint and yellow. But the clear isn't clear, it has a very light tint. In the pitch black of Bushy Park in winter that makes a difference. Bought some clear Bolle in Screwfix, also not completely clear so had to change them for something else.
    When it's completely dark a very light tint can make a big difference.
    Yellow lenses are great for a cloudy day though. I get to work, take my specs off and am disappointed it's not as sunny as I thought.
  • kelsen wrote:

Hahahaha and there was a "good" chippie that served those down the road from the original edinburgh bike shop too so a triangle of links...

We used to take both halves stick chips in the middle and make a battered pizza chip buttie with a supper, and wash down with coke (good call only one that works). ... maybe that's why I is a fat b4st4td as I hit middle age. Still at least that got me cycling. :mrgreen:
    Trek Domane 4.3. Merida One.forty 7.700. Merida CX 3. Voodoo Bizango
    "When the vulture flies sideways the moon has hair on his upper lip"