5mm chain ring bolts - sourcing

Yossie
Yossie Posts: 2,600
edited March 2012 in The bottom bracket
Evening All

I'm trying, imbetween pulling my hair out, to get some chain ring bolts to fit an SRAM red chainset - it uses the smaller 5mm bolts instead of the standard 7mm that I can find everywhere.

Does anyone know where I can get some - I have tried the usual suspects plus the LBS and have only found 7mm.

The M-Part ones I found would do the job perfectly (light, funky looking with cool writing on them, good price, black) but can only find them in 7mm.

Any ideas?

Thankyou very much

Y

Comments

• manglier
    manglier Posts: 1,259
    Got mine set of M-Parts at Stif Cycles in Summerbridge. The guy had to rummage around in the back for quite a while so I guess that they are not readily to hand.
  • jordan_217
    jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,965
    Hi Yossie,

Can you tell me the exact sizing and how many?

(Do you mean M5 thread? type of head? length of threaded bit etc.)

The older I get, the better I was.

• symo
    symo Posts: 1,743
    Anyone happen to know what size I would need for Shimano compact chainrings, and also for a double set too? Or are they the same?

Fancy some nice red ones!
    +++++++++++++++++++++
    we are the proud, the few, Descendents.

Panama - finally putting a nail in the economic theory of the trickle down effect.
  • Yossie
    Absolute legends - thankyou very much indeed.

Capt S: M5 x 5mm, either torq or allen head, not bothered but torq is cooler and will match the other torq bolts I have on the bike. I have now (stupidly) have my heart set on the M:Parts ones due to the funky writing on them and would need 10 ( 2 x cranksets). If you can get 5 M:Part ones that'll get the new build on the road and the good bike can wait for a while.

Jordan: That's brilliant - thankyou very much. They will probably be ordered in the short term until I (or Capt S - no pressure! :) ) can source some M:Parts ones in black with the funky white writing on them.

Again, thankyou very much indeed for all your help.

Symo: Shimano double are M5 x 7mm - the ones evereyone has millions of as opposed to the daft SRAM ones!
  • capt_slog
    do the ones you need look like this?....
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQg7804EPXtXYrfkwxo00UxRKTW6jhHQutDUzdfjvZrNJD_rmXVFg

as in "off the shelf" or are they a special shape?

• Yossie
    Unfirtunately not - they are like this: http://www.probikekit.com/uk/pro-bolt-a ... -bolt.html stadrad chain ring bolts but just shorter.
  • capt_slog
    Yossie wrote:
    Unfirtunately not - they are like this: http://www.probikekit.com/uk/pro-bolt-a ... -bolt.html stadrad chain ring bolts but just shorter.

damn.

I was afraid of that. When I first wrote I didn't know what you were referring to when you mentioned chainring bolts, I just saw "bolts" :roll:

As you've guessed, I can't help you with those, sorry.

• Yossie
    No worries - much appreciated for the replies and piccy anyway.
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • Yossie
    Ta muchly Matt: much appreciated - Evans ones don't come in black, so will reduce top end by 2 mph.

Re Ti - bizarrely enough, Ti are actually heavier than ally when it comes to things like this, so again will reduce top end and also by not being black will reduce top end even more, leading to walking snail pace scenario.

Also worth bearing in mind if you go for Ti fastners - use ally on non load bearing as its lighter but if used it the wrong place will lead to a severe case of deadness. Which hurts quite a lot, I am told.

Have purchased black PBK ones after 30 minutes of fighting their shyyyyyyt website. Special bar of chocolate goes to first person to find M:Part 5mm ones in black though ........
  • jordan_217
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • jordan_217
    Doh, they're 6mm. Sorry [face palm]
  • MattC59
    Do you need 5mm long as well as M5 thread ?
    There appear to be loads of M5 x 8.5mm chain ring bolts, even in the speed enhancing black, but I'm struggling to find 5mm long bolts.

Do you have a dremmel ?
  • jordan_217
    There's the Brev:M ones in black, 5mm from SJS cycles:

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/brev-m-chain ... prod23773/

I can't find any M:Part ones in 5mm. Sorry, I need to eat my lunch now.

[EDIT] - To include link
  • DavMartinR
    DavMartinR Posts: 897
    I don't know if the short ones will be what you after? But there on offer..............

http://www.allterraincycles.co.uk/product/116036.html
  • Yossie
    Blimey - that's impressive - thankyou very much indeed.
  • Yossie
    MattC59 wrote:
    Do you have a dremmel ?

Children have Dremmels. Men have angle grinders and axes. Ug. me find meat and woman.
  • MattC59
    Yossie wrote:
    MattC59 wrote:
    Do you have a dremmel ?

Children have Dremmels. Men have angle grinders and axes. Ug. me find meat and woman.

Of help ? :lol:

MyPicture.jpg
  • Aggieboy
    Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
    MattC59 wrote:
    Yossie wrote:
    MattC59 wrote:
    Do you have a dremmel ?

Of help ? :lol:

MyPicture.jpg

Ban stick!!!! Sexy woman with big chopper in her hand!
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • MattC59
    Well I guess it won't help shorted Yossie's bolt !
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Is it just me, or has she got sand trickling out of her lady parts?