£800 - 1300 FS or HT?

grelvin
grelvin Posts: 16
edited March 2012 in MTB buying advice
I am looking at upgrading from my current bike (Claude Butler Cape Wrath - which i'll keep for sunday rides with the family) and getting a more serious off roader.

Budget stands at £800 - 1300 (maybe more with 0% finance). What would you guys recommend for this price range?

I'll mainly be riding Llandegla and other centres when I can get there and natural routes around North Wales.

A mate of mine switched from a Rockhopper to an EX8 a few years ago and has never looked back - he does the same riding as i'll be doing.

I know that my budget doesn't get a great amount on a decent FS but I do like the look of Canyon bikes (no 0% finance though). I have been looking at the Canyon Nerve XC 6.0, Whyte 805, Cannondale SL1, Trek 6500, Spesh Camber and the like.

Any advice would be great

Cheers

Comments

• 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    for your budget you can get a decent FS, have a look on pauls cycles, Giant Trance.
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • for £1300 you could get a nice HT so dont think that going straight for FS is the way to go, just think what you want to ride with your bike before deciding.

Or ofc there is canyon ..
    London2Brighton Challange 100k!
    http://www.justgiving.com/broxbourne-runners
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    edited March 2012
    for £1300 you could get a nice HT so dont think that going straight for FS is the way to go, just think what you want to ride with your bike before deciding.

Or ofc there is canyon ..
    grelvin wrote:
    I know that my budget doesn't get a great amount on a decent FS but I do like the look of Canyon bikes (no 0% finance though).
    as stated before, have a look here http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m1b0s1p0 obviously some are limited to certain sizes
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    FS- Giant Trance, Decathlon Rockrider 9.2, Boardman Team FS - all good options.

HT - simply loads to choose from. Personally I'd go the super-smooth steely route and go with an On-One Inbred package (oh look I did!) but there's so much choice it's difficult to nail down without riding one or two.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    inbred smooth? Are pretty stiff i find!
  • grelvin
    What are your thoughts on new vitus range? Zircon 1 especially?
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    grelvin wrote:
    What are your thoughts on new vitus range? Zircon 1 especially?
    for £50 more you could get the Boardman HT Pro with elixir R's, X9 and Reba's
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • grelvin
    As it stands I can get the HT pro for £850 due to staff discount.
  • grelvin
    Not my staff discount I might add
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    grelvin wrote:

Budget stands at £800 - 1300 (maybe more with 0% finance). What would you guys recommend for this price range?

Get a 0% on purchases Credit Card, buy what you want (meaning you can get discount bikes on 0%, unlike many 0% finance offers that are full price only), pay it off before the 0% period ends.
  • Jake2.0
    Jake2.0 Posts: 46
    At the moment you can get 10% off at Halfords with code AFFBKE1 and then buy vouchers with british cycling memebrship gives you another 10% off so can pick up a HT PRO for £810 now thats a bargain.
  • tarbot18
    tarbot18 Posts: 531
    Canyon nerve xc 7.0 great spec fox front and back £1300ish and weighs just over 27 pounds, weighs less than a lot of hard tails and the only bike youll ever need for most trails.
    The family that rides together stays together !

Boardman Comp 29er 2013

Whyte T129s 2014 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12965414&p=18823801&hilit=whyte+t129s#p18823801

Road Scott speedster s50 2011
  • mmafan
    mmafan Posts: 26
    I got a Canyon Strive but the people I've come across with the Nerve swear by them. If you get the canyon you'll be pleasantly surprised at how well they peddle too. I can peddle my strive all day long and it is a 6inch machine so I reckon the Nerve would be excellent for trails and even XC type stuff. Its also got trail bike of the year awards and all that as well (event though it was the top build). Get a FS and you'll be able to take on more demanding trails as your confidence levels increase as, a FS inspires you to take on more. Hope this helps.

Whatever the choice hope you get that giddy feeling and enjoy your new rig!
    Spesh Rockhopper 2005, Giant Glory Zero 2007, KTM Flavour 2009, Canyon Strive 7.0 2011
  • grony
    grony Posts: 75
    Jake2.0 wrote:
    At the moment you can get 10% off at Halfords with code AFFBKE1 and then buy vouchers with british cycling memebrship gives you another 10% off so can pick up a HT PRO for £810 now thats a bargain.

Thanks for this, ordered mine on Sunday night, with 3% cashback from Quidco it will end up costing me less than £800.