Commuting

mr_eddy
mr_eddy Posts: 830
edited March 2012 in Commuting chat
I would like to get some info on people experience with commuting on road bikes. I have been commuting on road bikes for a few years (with the exception of a few months on a MTB). It would be great if people can answer the following:

1. How far commute
2. How often
3. Any specific tricks or kit that you would not leave home without
4. Road Craft, any things you do to improve your ride safety

personally my commute is either 6 miles each way or 6 miles there and 20 back. I try to cycle to work 4-5 days a week using the car only when I need to lug around stuff. I would not leave home withough my mini pump and a spare tube in my saddle bag, walking 3 miles in road shoes to work is not pleasant :(

When out on the road and especially in traffic I try and be a bit bolshy and obvious mainly so drivers can see I am around. I find that if you tuck right up to the curb then drivers tend to try and squeeze past.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,404
    1. 18.5 miles each way.
    2. 3 days a week when meetings etc. allow
    3. Lights (even in summer). In winter 3 rears (1 steady and 2 flashing on different setting) and 2 front (1 on strobe 1 on constant) plus reflective cycling jacket. Tools, spare tubes, pump and puncture repair kit. No need for a lock as I leave the bike in the office.
    4. Ride out from the gutter, avoid filtering down the inside of traffic, ride defensively, anticipate what other road users are going to do (especially at junctions), don't antagonise or argue with motorists, obey signs road markings and signals.
  • BigLights
    BigLights Posts: 464
    I commute 5 days a week, rain or shine, winter and summer. About 7.5 miles each way through London, on a Spesh Sirrus (it lives a tough life so the carbon road bike is reserved for weekend fun).

I would never leave home without my epic lights (Exposure Maxx-D and Exposure Joystick on the helmet). I no longer carry tube/pumps etc as I leave them at the office....the rare times I get a puncture I'll jump in a cab and deal with it at my leisure during the day.

I agree with you - you have to be extremely assertive about your road space (a lesson I learned on the motorbike), take primary, make it clear to other road users. If you keep to the left then drivers just will try and squeeze past.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    1. How far commute
    22 miles each way.

2. How often
    4-5 days a week.

Buy cheap buy twice, applies to most kit. Lights; wouldn't leave home without my Hope District rear, the thing demands space and it certainly works.

Ride with zen, patience and anticipate. Don't ever be caught on the inside of a moving vehicle, if you must pass do it quickly and if you are moving at the same pace as traffic take the primary. Don't always filter to the front at junctions, every junction is different. Sometimes your safer taking primary at the back of a que and moving with the pace of traffic, you'll never get left hooked this way. The amount of nodders that assume being at the front is safe is unreal. Bits of road with green/blue paint with pictures of bikes on are not a shield.
  • Redhog14
    Redhog14 Posts: 1,377
    +1 for all of the above.
    If I do make my way up through stationary traffic I always ensure I have made eye contact with any drivers before going in front. Give trucks a wide berth. Watch out for potholes and ride well out from parked cars. Find cycle paths, in Edinburgh I know for a fact the roads are quicker but it is not always about the shortest route.
  • I ride approx 20 miles 2/3 times a week when able ( I work shifts)

As many lights as possible:
    Hi Viz ruc sac cover, pump, inner tubes X2, multi tool, tyre levers and at
    least three pairs of disposable gloves. No need for a lock as we have secure site at
    work.
    As per previous posts: stay away from the inside, treat most drivers as idiots, be careful at junctions &
    do not jump red lights, leave the MP3 player at home and no matter how p*****d of you are with motorists, it is
    not worth arguing with them. Obey the highway code.

I have been commuting to and from work for the best part of twenty five years, and all the above are learnt
    from bitter experience.

Oh and try and avoid commuter racing, there is always someone who is quicker than you!!

'Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana'
  • shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    kinda quoting pross cos he and I seem very similar even if he does have the luck to ride twice as far as me

1. 8 miles each way.
    2. every day I can, I try to pile meeting out of the office onto the same day to minimise my car time (as much cos I loathe driving more and more these days as needing my bike time to chill & get all smiley)
    3. Lights (even in summer). In winter 3 rears (1 steady and 2 flashing on different setting) and 2 front (1 on strobe 1 on constant) plus reflective cycling jacket. Tools, spare tubes, pump and puncture repair kit. I invariably carry a lock as its often easier to bob into the local Asda for a butty than carry a packed lunch with me & I can't always guarantee the security station will be manned to dump the bike and nip in.
    4. Ride out from the gutter, avoid filtering down the inside of traffic, ride defensively, anticipate what other road users are going to do (especially at junctions), don't antagonise or argue with motorists, obey signs road markings and signals - including traffic lights.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,770
    I commute about 5.5 miles each way on a daily basis. I always carry a pump, tube, patches and multitool.
    I pretty much agree with all of the above about roadcraft. My bike isn't really a road bike though, I bought a CX bike because I rattle along unmade paths at some point most days.
    I would describe the required riding style as assertive. You need to be positive in what you do, act predictably so you don't surprise other road users.
    Definitely agree with trying to maintain a level of calm, although that can be the biggest struggle.
    I also use two lights front and back. One of each flashing and the other static.
    It's the vast majority of the riding I do so I try to enjoy it. A nice route through a large park helps with that.
  • Twostage
    Twostage Posts: 987
    Try not to leave without your smile :D
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    1. How far commute
    21 miles, occasional extended run if I feel like it.

2. How often
    2 days per week due to other commitments. 4-5 days during school hols.

Winter: 2 lights up front - flashing & decent fixed. 3 x rear - 2 flash one solid. Top with reflective bits on it. Spare tube, puncture kit, co2 jobbies, levers, fiver - all in mini saddle bag. Also phone + bit of cash in pockets, drinks bottle on bike. Sometimes take the iPod, usually don't.

Mainly rural so I don't really have to do anything other than be on the road, in primary or secondary depending. One thing I learnt on here is to stick to the Highway Code, esp lights. I always wait, to make the point to anyone behind me that not all cyclists are light-jumping pavement pansies. It makes no difference to my commute.

Be visible, be safe, be confident, try to smash your PB occasionally. Safety's not all it's cracked up to be from where I sit tbh. Enjoyment is a bigger factor; easy to say when main roads can be as little as 300 yards out of 21 miles, but I'll take that.
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    1. How far commute
    10 Miles each way. Sometimes extended to 18 miles on the ride home.
    2. How often
    5 Days a week
    Puncture kit, lights. The usual
    I commute City -> Sheen so lots of slow moving rush hour traffic. Generally I'm riding faster than or pretty close to the ambient traffic speed. I take primary when I feel I need it, signal clearly if I need to move out for whatever reason, and where possible make eye contact with drivers. Like CiB I tend to err on the side of enjoyment rather than strict safety, but I still take care around cars if I'm filtering. Sometimes you just can't predict if someones going to step out through the traffic or someone's going to open a door.
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    1. How far commute
    16.5miles each way, extended twice a week to a 16.5 / 27.5 split

2. How often
    every day rain or shine, with weekend audaxes and MTB trips

spare tube, pump, puncture repair kit etc.

What they've all said and take being overtaken on the chin, do not get wound up about it.
  • Shem
    Shem Posts: 24
    1. How far commute
    14km each way. Maybe a few more if I'm not against the clock and can take my time

2. How often
    Up to 5 days a week. I don't ride in the rain any more due to safety reasons (No tread on the tyres).

Lights, glasses, small bike multi-tool and gloves. Most other things I can sacrifice.

Signal my intentions, use pretty much the whole lane, cover the brakes when filtering through traffic and ride the first kilometre gently as a warm up.
    GMT +8
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,629
    edited March 2012
    edit: wrong place
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    1. How far commute
    7-11 miles each way (usually 11), but site visits extend that to upto 32 miles round trip.

2. How often
    5 days a week all weather - studs (on MTB) for ice.

Lights (all year round), glasses, 15mm spanner for track nuts, multi tool, pump and 2 tubes.

Not much to add to above. Not worth arguing with drivers - you can't educate an idiot.