Skinny Seatpost on a Hardtail- will it make any difference?

tofu21
tofu21 Posts: 359
edited March 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hello,

I'm thinking about swapping my current 30.9mm seat post for a 27mm post and shim with the hope that it will make the backend a bit more forgiving.

I know in theory it should work, but does it work in practice? Will I notice any difference?

The bike is an 09 aluminium Stumpy

thanks for the advice
Simon

Comments

• oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    Not from experience but I can't see it making much difference. Maybe a ti seatpost might though, or one of them suspension posts.
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    Try a bigger volume tyre run at a lower pressure first.
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • tiny_pens
    tiny_pens Posts: 293
    Probably a bit, but you'd get a more noticeable difference letting 5psi out of your rear tyre. That'll help soften the ride when you're out of the saddle as well.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Depends on the seatpost.
  • tofu21
    supersonic wrote:
    Depends on the seatpost.

What would be a good post to give flex?

It's currently the standard Spesh one.
  • tofu21
    1mancity2 wrote:
    Try a bigger volume tyre run at a lower pressure first.

That was the other thing I was going to look at.

On the hard tail I tend to run 2.0. I've got some Racing Ralph 2.25 hanging up and now things are starting to dry up a bit I may see if they will fit the frame.
  • supersonic
    You need as light as you can get - but not at the expesne of strength.

I'd be looking at a light titanium post.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Or an Exotic carbon one? My 27.2mm one flexed a fair bit.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • rudedog
    rudedog Posts: 523
    stand up when it gets rough :P

I
  • tofu21
    bails87 wrote:
    Or an Exotic carbon one? My 27.2mm one flexed a fair bit.

Then is snapped?
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    My Exotic post is coping quite well after about a years worth of use and there is definitely some trail buzz absorbing magic going on with it. I also find my SDG carbon post very good at absorbing bumps too, but this might be because its on a different bike and there is more seat post exposed.

Take some time to read reviews as not all posts are the same and just because a post is made from carbon or Ti doesn't mean it will be comfortable.

Also +1 on the high volume tyres with low pressures.
  • andy_welch
    andy_welch Posts: 1,101
    On a related note, why have suspension seatposts fallen out of favour ? I can understand that full suss bikes are satisfying the desire for something more comfortable for some people, but it seems to be that a suspension seatpost is still a viable alternative with its own advantages and disadvantages.

A full suss bike will allow the wheel to track the ground better than a suspension seatpost, but will be more susceptible to pedal induced bobbing. So a suspension seatpost should offer some comfort advantages (but not the traction advantages) without suffering the same loss of efficiency. So, why are they so rarely seen on bikes these days. Is the above analysis wrong and a full suss really is just a better option if you want more comfort, or am I just not looking ahrd enough?

Cheers,

Andy
  • supersonic
    Most sus posts wear out very quickly, and are undamped (plus weigh quite a bit). Very few are worth having.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    All else being equal a seatpost with some layback will flex more than an inline as it provides a natural bend force rather than a vertical compressive force, even if you put the saddle in the same place relative to the top of the frame you may negate that bend in the seatpost but encourage some bend in the saddle rails.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • tofu21
    It's a good job I posted this up. I was thinking about getting a nice inline Thomson....

I think I need to have a play with tractor tyres this weekend and see where that gets me.
  • supersonic
    Thomson are heavy and overpriced. Are lighter, cheaper posts that will give you the flex you need.
  • rudedog
    rudedog Posts: 523
    I had a 27.2 raceface evolve post that flexed much more than the 31.8 raceface ride that I've got now.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    tofu21: :lol: No, it didn't snap. It was still on a bike that I sold a few weeks ago. I've now got one on my commuting bike.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • dry664
    dry664 Posts: 155
    Which layback titanium seatposts are best at getting rid of buzz?
    I saw a review on here for the USE Sumo.....
    http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... st-12-9499
    Its on CRC for £95
  • tiny_pens
    tiny_pens Posts: 293
    andy_welch wrote:
    On a related note, why have suspension seatposts fallen out of favour ? I can understand that full suss bikes are satisfying the desire for something more comfortable for some people, but it seems to be that a suspension seatpost is still a viable alternative with its own advantages and disadvantages.

Andy

The cheap suspension seat posts have a fair degree of sag you have to overcome by setting the saddle high by default. In practice this means you ride along never quite with the right saddle height except when you stand to go over bumps at which point the seat has risen to a higher position so the saddle still cracks you in the knackers when the back wheel bucks upwards. :shock:

I'd have thought you would want to be standing up when riding over bumps anyway which would make it a moot point as the vibration would then be through your hands and feet.