straight or tapered?

maky
maky Posts: 60
edited March 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi all, am looking at upgrading the forks on my xc comp and have found I've narrowed my choice considerably looking at just straight steerer tubes.

I've been searching, but I'm still struggling to figure out the difference in fit between a straight and tapered steerer. I'm assuming its as simple as upgrading to a tapered headset? But does a tapered headset need a larger head tube etc? Having a quick look on crc its difficult to see which headsets fit which tubes?

Any advice much appreciated!

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    if your frame can not take a tapered steerer then you can not use one.

there are some play around soulutions but they require certain headtube sizes and special headsets.

Yours is a standard 1 1/8 headtube i belive so you can not change.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • what he said!
    If you have a tapered headset then you will notice that the head tube is wider at the bottom than at the top. It kinda flares out a bit.

You can fit a sraight steerer fork to a taprered headset by using spacers/carriers to fill the gap between the steerer tube and the bottom headset bearing. this would obviously not work the other way round.
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    Specislized FSR XC Comp is straight 1 1/8th, tapered wont fit.
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • maky
    maky Posts: 60
    spot on guys, thanks for your help