New rear disc brake

mikeyj28
mikeyj28 Posts: 754
edited March 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi all

i have had enough of my Elixir R rear brake. It is causing me problems and i have had enough of sorting them continually.
I am on the lookout for a light, reliable,good modulation disc brake that will require minimum fuss and is relatively easy to change the pads.
My max budget is £90 but would like cheaper if possible.
It is for a HT that is used for XC.No downhill involved with my riding.

Thanks
Constantly trying to upgrade my parts.It is a long road ahead as things are so expensive for little gain. n+1 is always the principle in my mind.

Comments

• 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    Shimano slx if you dig around you may find one for that price or look at the deore they score highly in reviews.
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    Yup. rose bikes have the SLX for 60 odd quid without rotors.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • mikeyj28
    mikeyj28 Posts: 754
    How do you find the Formula K18s/24s?
    Constantly trying to upgrade my parts.It is a long road ahead as things are so expensive for little gain. n+1 is always the principle in my mind.
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    Oro's are great brakes, good modulation, power and are light. Very easy to change the pads as well. RX's are another step up in my opinion, more power and just as easy to change the pads but I think they are slightly heavier and some find they have slightly less modulation than Oro's, they have a more solid feel to the lever which is where this comes from I think. I would personally go for the RX's over Oro's unless the Oro is like half the price.

Both are good brakes and you won't be disappointed by either.

However I would be sorely tempted by the SLX for £60, the new style Shimano brakes are meant to be amazing and I am already a big fan of the current Saints (same style lever as the old SLX's etc.) so if the new levers are all they are cracked up to be then they will be very good indeed. Beware that if you get them from Rose you will need to order the front brake I believe so you get the left hand lever as it's from Germany. This will mean you will need a new hose so not quite as cheap as it would first appear but it does mean you could get a coloured hose if you like that sort of thing.
  • jehosophat
    jehosophat Posts: 108
    I just bought a set of Formula Oro K18's which are available cheap online - I liked them so much I bought another set for the other full susser and Ebayed the old Hopes which were on there. Good modulation and plenty of power for me with the 160mm rotors. I am still IS front and rear and the ones I bought were billed "IS only" but they are post mount with an IS adapter so will fit straight onto post mount without an adapter, for 160mm anyway. Bargain.