Strange grip shift set up

theymademedoit
theymademedoit Posts: 34
edited March 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi
I hope for some help with this.
Basically I bought a second hand Carrera Subway off a shop on the internet for commuting and I am bit confused over something.
It’s got grip shift on it and on the left shifter it’s numbered 1, 2 and 3 however there are only 2 chain rings.
Is this right or have the shifters been replaced with a substitute set?
I am not too worried but it seems confusing when trying to get into gear as I have no idea which gear I am in.
Also there is some grinding/clicking on certain gears and I don’t know what to do to stop the sound (do I just adjust the derailleur screws?).
Lastly regarding the V brakes.
The back brake is proving difficult to set up, it’s just not strong enough and when I try and get it so that it is tight enough to stop me, the wheel rubs and isn’t free to spin.
The front one is good but very noisy when I brake, will this go away as the new pads break in?
Cheers,
Al

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    yes you can use 3 with two it is common.

for the rear sounds like friction in the cables. a clean and a lube should help.

front sounds like crap on the shoes.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Cheers mate.
    What do you think the reason is for the clicking and grinding when in certain gears....its odd as to get into a certain gear I have to click it a few times to find the sweet spot.
    Oh and the chain has come off twice in the 20 mins I tested it.
    This was when changing gears.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Probably need indexing. And a bit of general maintenence. Have a look in the parktools link in Nicklouse's sig - there are how to's on pretty much everything you will ever need.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Cheers mate.
    What do you think the reason is for the clicking and grinding when in certain gears....its odd as to get into a certain gear I have to click it a few times to find the sweet spot.
    Oh and the chain has come off twice in the 20 mins I tested it.
    This was when changing gears.
    grip shift tend to have a trim function on the left shifter so you can remove any chain rub.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown