Runner's high

rick_chasey
rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
edited March 2012 in Commuting chat
Anyone get pretty noticeable runner's high's after cycling?

I used to get really quite big ones after rides, especially in the summer.

Recently, I haven't felt it particularly, until this morning. Was grinning and giggling to myself like I was on E this morning for the first hour.

Comments

• Yes! Maybe not like I used to get training for marathons, but some of the longer club rides have produced the goods. Even some commutes get me feeling zingy, tho normally i just feel good about myself :)
    Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • rick_chasey
    I didn't realise that it wasn't conclusively proven or understood!

I figured it was standard - everyone got it? I was more surprised that i didn't get it for a bit and then went totally weird this morning.

Girlfriend always knows when I've cycle an hour before. Can't hide it.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Get it for sure - feel really great. I tend to ride pretty hard (threshold +) which may contribute to it. Running tends to give a higher HR
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • msmancunia
    msmancunia Posts: 1,415
    Every morning that I cycle in and don't get a headwind for 12 miles. My colleagues can always tell when I've cycled rather than PT'ed it in.
    Commute: Chadderton - Sportcity
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    I don't get it after cycling as much as after running. Running for 30-45 mins makes me feel incredibly relaxed and happy (mostly because I've stopped).
  • FoldingJoe
    FoldingJoe Posts: 1,327

I figured it was standard - everyone got it? I was more surprised that i didn't get it for a bit and then went totally weird this morning.

Maybe you should wear more discreet trousers!! ;)
    Little boy to Obama: "My Dad says that you read all our emails"
    Obama to little boy: "He's not your real Dad"

Kona Honky Tonk for sale: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40090&t=13000807
  • rick_chasey
    FoldingJoe wrote:

Maybe you should wear more discreet trousers!! ;)

Haven't made any that can tackle it!

Woof!

tumblr_kwmsf9yEOE1qae9y5o1_400.jpg
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    edited March 2012
    one of the biggest highs ive ever had is doing the black runs in llandegla as fast as my "little" legs would take me

in fact i got so much of a buzz from it, when i got to the bottom of the run my legs were all wibbly wobberly an i had a grin as big as a cheshire cat (in a white range rover)

am i right in thinking its an endophin rush that creates the "Buzz"?
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • rick_chasey
    mudcow007 wrote:
    one of the biggest highs ive ever had is doing the black runs in llandegla as fast as my "little" legs would take me

in fact i got so much of a buzz from it, when i got to the bottom of the run my legs were all wibbly wobberly an i had a grin as big as a cheshire car (in a white range rover)

According to the above article posted, it's related.

Endorphins themselves are too big to pass from the blood to the brain, but other chemicals (apparently similar to the chemicals weed produces) enter the blood and pass into the brain.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    mudcow007 wrote:

in fact i got so much of a buzz from it, when i got to the bottom of the run my legs were all wibbly wobberly an i had a grin as big as a cheshire cat (in a white range rover)

Oddly enough, I did Llandegla black this weekend and had a similar thing. I quite often start laughing to myself when MTBing!

I enjoy my road commute too though, that quite often puts a big grin on my face as I'm swooping down country lanes.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    For those who have indulged I'd say it's more like MDMA, which causes a flood of serotonin in the brain and temporarily blocks re-uptake. Symptoms include: sweating, being overly-emotional, stupid grin, laughing, feeling connected, buzzing.

I don't get it that often commuting, needs to be a longer ride.

However, I used to be prone to depression but since getting back in the saddle it's cleared up so instead of using an SSRI like Prozac I am getting the same effect from twice daily commuting. I used to get withdrawal symptoms, feeling ratty and anxious if I didn't get a fix for a couple of days, less so now.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • PedalPedant
    PedalPedant Posts: 185
    Anyone get pretty noticeable runner's high's after cycling?

Nope, never have. I run, swim and cycle, my commute is pretty tame so I wouldn't expect it but I've thrashed myself to jelly (oo-er) on the bike as well as swimming and running and never experienced anything I'd call a high.

The only time I've felt anything remotely rush like is the adrenalin come down after a near smidsy.

Maybe I'm just immune :( .

PP
    People that make generalisations are all morons.

Target free since 2011.
  • rick_chasey
    Do you not even get a sense of calm, clarity and focus after a ride or run?
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,629
    Sometimes, haven't had it that big for a while but always good when you do - you come into work or house bouncing normally going "that was awesome". Alas its fairly normal on my commute to have some bellend being a crap driver which ruins the mood. Park laps in summer is pretty consistant for giving the grins.
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • PedalPedant
    PedalPedant Posts: 185
    Do you not even get a sense of calm, clarity and focus after a ride or run?

Not that I've noticed, I'll quite often feel a sense of achievement but not anything different to when I achieve something non-physical so I can't see it's down to anything physiological.

As I say, maybe it's just the way I'm made.

PP
    People that make generalisations are all morons.

Target free since 2011.