tag a long Trailgator and a carbon frame

Richard121
Richard121 Posts: 3
Well this is my first post, so apologies for any rules I break.

I had my bike stolen last week and I'm in the process of replacing it. One of the main uses for my bike is to pull my daughter on a tag a long, whilst on family biking trips. However I'd also like to get back in to more XC/trail riding with a group of friends, so I'm considering a range of bike types and would appreciate people sharing their thoughts/experiences. (hardtail, carbon hardtail and full suspension)

I have two main questions -

1. Can tag a long's be used with Carbon frames (Appreciating that I'd not be using a carbon seat post, whilst using the tag a long)

2. What are peoples experiences of using the tag a long with Full suspension bike with Pro pedal and/or lock out?

Any comments appreciated.

Cheers

Richard

Comments

• baudman
    baudman Posts: 757
    It's relatively safe to say that a carbon frame MTB is unlikely to have been manufactured with regard to having those sorts of stresses coming from the seatpost.

It's also relatively safe to say that a carbon frame MTB is pretty tough.

I think, as you've said, with use of an alloy post, it should be OK. The problem you may find, as you've indicated, is with a dually. Adjusting your rear suspension is a fine art - you want the amount of sag just right - the correct rebound etc. With ProPedal, you would get sag which would, most-likely allow the front wheel of the following bike to touch the ground. Not good. With lockout, it would depend upon the manufacturer.

Instead, I suggest an alternative strategy. N+1. Get your carbon dually. But, also find yourself a cheapish, old steel or alloy bike with a triple. Perfect for towing.
    Commute - MASI Souville3 | Road/CX - MASI Speciale CX | Family - 80s ugly | Utility - Cargobike
  • Thanks for the reply, very much my thoughts and in the end I decide that the challenges with a full sus are too great. So I've deside to buy a carbon hardtail, hopefully the best of both.

Richard
  • Pipster3
    Pipster3 Posts: 82
    If you really want a full susser choose one with rear shock that has lock out which you could use when towing ...
    Or The Followme works on a full susser I have used mine behind my Stumpy FSR just swap the skewer it pivots from rear axle so suspension does not impact ride height of child's bike ...