What brake fluid??

ragamuffin2812
ragamuffin2812 Posts: 42
edited March 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Evening,

Was going to have a go at bleeding the hope mono minis tomorrow, just needed to know if I can use the usual car brake fluid ( dot 5.1 ) as I have loads of it lying around as I used to be a mechanic, or is the fluid bike specific?

Cheers

Comments

• DHA987S
    DHA987S Posts: 284
    Use the car stuff, it's the same.

Halfrauds add a few quid on "bike" dot 5.1 compared to the car example. Cheeky bastards
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Dot 3, 4 or 5.1. Not 5!
  • I thought as much, just wanted to be sure. Thanks.
  • Jamieg285
    Jamieg285 Posts: 98
    supersonic wrote:
    Dot 3, 4 or 5.1. Not 5!

Can they be mixed, or should they be flushed if you're changing/not sure what's in it?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    They can be mixed.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,717
    cooldad wrote:
    They can be mixed.
    Except for DOT5 which is the work of the devil. DOT5 is silicon brake fulid and is completely incompatible with anything else.
    DOT5.1 is competition spec normal brake fluid and is very hygroscopic, but has the highest boiling point. DOT4 has a lower boiling point, but is less hygroscopic so doesn't need to be replaced as often. DOT3 has the lowest boiling point and is least hygroscopic.
    Shimano mineral oil, I now know, is the same as LHM used in Citroens and such like, but with a different colour dye in it.
  • Flush the system dude, brake fluid is hydroscopic, in short this means over time brake fluid absorbs water, mixing the fluids will result in new fluid being contaminated with old water absorbed stuff.

Just done mine and amazed at the difference it makes, plus the hopes I bought second hand must have never had a change as the fluid was black :o!!!!!
  • Hahaha! Also what Veronese said!