How long do tyres normally last?

The Man Chump
The Man Chump Posts: 81
edited March 2012 in Road beginners
I have just gone through my first tyre after 3 months 900 miles is that normal?

Comments

• Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    What tyre?? Not ultra race I take it.

I would be very disappointed with that. Usually I get 3-5,000 miles out of Kryllions and about 2-3,000 out of GP4000s.
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    Hi Ezy, what kind of riding and what tire?
  • My bike came with some pretty standard Kenda tyres on them Kwest? they are worn in patches and have a slash in them that means I keep betting punctures (I have patched the inside and tried to glue the hole :)
  • Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver Posts: 2,023
    What kind of riding were you doing? Those aren'tthe best tyres in the world but you still ought to get better mileage than that!
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712

:shock:
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661

Turn the engine off ;).

No it's not.

Either you haven't actually gone through them, or.....erm.... you've been skidding everywhere?
  • I've been trying very hard and certainly don't hold back, I've been averaging over 17 miles per hour most rides, and the front tyre is fine if a little warn but the back tyre is getting punctures really often now. I've ordered a pair of Continental Ultra Race Road Tyres I hope they last longer.
  • citrus_
    citrus_ Posts: 60
    Ive done about 5,000 miles on the tyres that came with my Spesh Allez, and they are still in pretty decent condition. Maybe you run your tyres too flat/pumped up?
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    I've been trying very hard and certainly don't hold back, I've been averaging over 17 miles per hour most rides, and the front tyre is fine if a little warn but the back tyre is getting punctures really often now. I've ordered a pair of Continental Ultra Race Road Tyres I hope they last longer.

Just to clarify, when I said "ultra race" I meant very race specific not the actual product :)

If you are gunning for more durability, best avoid the very racey tyres (unless racing :wink: ) but 900 miles is just not what you should expect.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,662
    I very wrongly bought some Conti Force/attack tyres and I wore a hole in them very quickly - but then they re supposed to be full on race only tyres. Can you post a pic of the tyre?
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Don't worry I ordered the new tyres last week, but have given up on these ones after tonight as I have another puncture. But my car broke down tonight I all things bike will have to be put on the backburner for a bit as this is going to cost!
  • mouth
    mouth Posts: 1,195
    A Kenda you say? I went through one in about 100 miles last year. Mind you though new bike and was unfamiliar with brakes and how good they were. It appeared to have a flat spot on it from when I locked the back wheel or caught a kerb a bit hard or something. By any chance was your bike from a shop with an orange sign?
    The only disability in life is a poor attitude.
  • Indeed, but not the nationwide orange sign retailer. A small local orange sign independant.
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    Indeed, but not the nationwide orange sign retailer. A small local orange sign independant.

Interesting
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Probably a good idea to dig the glass out of the tyre - it's probably either glass in the tyre (usual cause of repeated punctures) or too low tyre pressures.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • jsands294
    jsands294 Posts: 33
    Did you a set of Kenda Kriterium, 700x25mm? I had these on my new Giant Defy 4 and worn out in the same time frame and miles.

Also bought myself Continental Ultra Race Road Tyres! 23c this time though. Felt much better when I was on them, hope they last much longer too. But Im off the bike for sometime. Bad crash :(
    Giant Defy 4(Triple) 2012

Giant TCR Advanced SL 4 2013
  • jthef
    jthef Posts: 226
    I use gator skins and get about 3000 miles out of the back tyre before I start to get puntures so time to change it and after about 5000+ miles the front before it gets cut up a bit too much and is then put on the back to use the last of it life.