Tyres for a canal trail rider

snaphappyspen
snaphappyspen Posts: 179
edited March 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hey guys,

I am currently using Schwalbe Smart Sams at the moment, but im finding them terrible when i am cycling with regards to grip. I cycle along the canals a lot and only now and again will i ride roads etc. The problems in question with regards to grips are going from mud to smooth stone climbs at locks on the canal, and also when cycling on the footpath and having to move to the side up the "verge" my wheels cant grip well enough to go up the verge "side ways" and i slide out mainly the back end.

I am going to be doing Manchester to Liverpool canal run in a few months and would like to have the tyres a few months before hand so any input would be great! Many thanks!!
Bike - Scott Aspect 45
Roadie - Trek 1.5 2013

Comments

• racing ralphs would be perfect for this, light, super fast rolling and plenty grippy.
  • racing ralphs would be perfect for this, light, super fast rolling and plenty grippy.

Thanks for that tip! I have looked at and read the reviews for the tyre, and noticed alot of people run it for the rear tyre but use a nobby nick for the front, which im considering.
    Bike - Scott Aspect 45
    Roadie - Trek 1.5 2013
  • mar_k
    mar_k Posts: 323
    racing ralphs would be perfect for this, light, super fast rolling and plenty grippy.

Thanks for that tip! I have looked at and read the reviews for the tyre, and noticed alot of people run it for the rear tyre but use a nobby nick for the front, which im considering.

Thats the set up I am currently running,
    I only was on a local nature trail yesterday and I got back wheel slippage going up a not so steep bank.
    front wheel felt quite planted
  • davewalsh
    davewalsh Posts: 587
    For what you've described I'd suggest a pair of Panaracer Fire XC Pro's. They don't particularly excel at anything but should be a good compromise between rolling speed and traction in mud and stone. Can be bought pretty cheap from Merlin, £25 for the wire beaded (heavier and less grippy compound) or £44 for a pair of folding with tubes.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    TBH this all sounds like overkill, I do similiar riding on a standard Marathon- very nearly a slick. Off-camber grip (ie riding at an angle up the face of a bank) is a big ask of any tyre, a proper knobbly will do it but will be rotten at everything else. It's more about angle of attack and bodyweight than tyres, IMO, you need to ride forcefully up the bank rather than expecting your tyres to find grip as you approach it at an oblique angle.

Just depends how much pace (and expense) you want to sacrifice really.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • amclinden
    amclinden Posts: 101
    Northwind is 100% right, I ride that sorta thing with CityContacts (similarish to marathons) and have no problems tbh, but XC Pros are great if you want to go down the knobbly line...
    Swveeeet¡¡¡
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    You need as much rubber as possible in contact with the ground so slicks are best.
    Knobbly tyres are for generating mechanical grip in mud.