When will this ever stop...?

felix.london
felix.london Posts: 4,067
edited March 2012 in MTB buying advice
I'm going bonkers at the moment upgrading the '06 'hopper (Reverb, shifters, crankset, F&R mechs, cassette, wheels)

So when I'm done along with that lot and add the Marzocchi MX fork, seat, stem, discs, grips, pedals etc that were originally on the bike when I bought it I'll basically have a full bikes worth of spare components.

So guess what..now I'm looking at frames! aaahhh!! when will it stop!!?? (how this is all being funded I don't know - but I'm getting away with it so far :wink: )

I want to build a kinda lightweight XC/road/nip-to-the-shops/cycle-to-the-pub/mountain-climbing-billy-goat of a bike. I like the looks of the Carbon 456 frame but it seems to be more of an aggressive XC/trail frame (which is pretty much what I've turned the Rockhopper into)

What other options do I have for around £300? (or less) - or is the 456 still a good choice?

The MX's are 105mm travel with no external adjustments the rest of the gear is mostly Deore with Sun rims. Not sure if this will be for the missuz/daughter or for me so frame size will be either small(15-16"?) or medium(18"-19"?)

Thanking you.
"Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8

Comments

• DHA987S
    DHA987S Posts: 284
    No

It won't stop
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    I remember thinking I'd stop once I got my Soul up to the point where I was totally happy with it. Inevitably I got another bike!
    Uncompromising extremist
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Its a sickness, to which the only cure is to give up riding. Sorry.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I now HAVE to build bikes for the kids (it's the only way to get a decent bike you know) in order to get my fix without ending in divorce.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • The Spiderman
    The Spiderman Posts: 5,625
    Nope it never stops.I bought the Anthem, on the basis that the XTC would go to fund it.
    Now I`m thinking I need to keep the XTC as a winter/commuter hack........
    And I want lighter wheels and a 10 speed drivetrain for the Anthem.
    So that means I could upgrade the Anthem,and the XTC could benefit from the trickle down parts form the Anthem.
    At least thats how I`m justifying it.
    :lol:
    Oh forgot the roadbike........ :wink:
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • bartimaeus
    bartimaeus Posts: 1,812
    Nope it never stops........ I want lighter wheels and a 10 speed drivetrain for the Anthem.
    This... plus wider bars (possibly a shorter stem - I have a 90mm) and a Reverb. But then I found a nice winter bike on eBay so I blew the funds on my GT - and now I could be very tempted to replace the Toras with Revelations on the GT, and the GT is the sort of bike that could also use a dropper post... :)
    Vitus Sentier VR+ (2018) GT Grade AL 105 (2016)
    Giant Anthem X4 (2010) GT Avalanche 1.0 (2010)
    Kingley Vale and QECP Trail Collective - QECP Trail Building
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    how about on one whippet?
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    If its a Rockhopper then I imagine your seatpost is 30.9 which means your Reverb is too. That limits you a bit, I know Santa Cruz have 30.9mm seat tubes (i think) and alot of people rate the Chameleon as a "fun" bike to ride. You'd have to go 2nd hand though for your budget.
  • felix.london
    Bartimaeus wrote:
    plus wider bars (possibly a shorter stem - I have a 90mm) and a Reverb. But then I found a nice winter bike on eBay so I blew the funds on my GT - and now I could be very tempted to replace the Toras with Revelations on the GT, and the GT is the sort of bike that could also use a dropper post... :)

:lol::lol:

Trek Session 8
  • felix.london
    styxd wrote:
    If its a Rockhopper then I imagine your seatpost is 30.9 which means your Reverb is too. That limits you a bit, I know Santa Cruz have 30.9mm seat tubes (i think) and alot of people rate the Chameleon as a "fun" bike to ride. You'd have to go 2nd hand though for your budget.

You are right about the size but the Reverb will be staying on the 'hopper - so I do have the original 30.9 Spesh seatpost spare but if I have to get a new seatpost (31.6?) that wouldn't be a major problem or deal breaker if the frame ticked all the other boxes.

Cheers

Trek Session 8
  • felix.london
    jairaj wrote:
    how about on one whippet?

Good call. Will have to check exactly what front mech & chainset I have as it looks like only certain models will fit the frame.

Worth thinking about though.

Thanks for the input.

Trek Session 8
  • felix.london
    The On-One Carbon Whippet does indeed look like what I'm after and a few good deals available.

Although looks like I'd definitely need a new (direct mount) front mech and possibly a crankset too - which would probably end up being XT ( :wink: ) and suddenly I'm looking at £500 !

And thanks for all the reassurance that this wont be the last time!

btw - does/has anyone run a 28-40 dual-ring set-up (x9) ? - good, bad...ugly?

Cheers.

Trek Session 8